restoration of firearm rights

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:38 am

restoration of firearm rights

Postby deerslayer5563 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am

I pled guilty to an "attempted" white collar crime in 2006 and completed my sentence at a federal prison camp in 2008.  I have always been an avid hunter, and now my children are at the age where they want their daddy to teach them to hunt.  Because of my plea, I am not allowed to hunt with anything other than a bow or muzzleloader.  I want so badly to teach them my passion for hunting and target shooting, but Congress has pigeoned holed all felony convictions to prevent this.  I could understand the firearm prohibition if my case involved a weapon or violence, but it did not.  I had a spotless record before this white collar plea.  It seems terribly unfair to prevent me from sharing this pastime with my children because of an error in judgment that in no way involved weapons or vilence.  Has anyone out there had their firearm rights restored?  What would you suggest?  Any help is most appreciated.  I know at one time you could apply for restoration through the ATF, but the Treasury Dept cut off funding for this, so your application just sits there and collects dust!

User avatar
Posts: 2110
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:12 pm
Location: Kansas and Missouri

RE: restoration of firearm rights

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 am

If you are truly serious about doing this, go visit an attorney. 
My understanding is that while conviction for a federal crime may not allow you to get this privilege restored, some states will allow it.
Best of luck.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

User avatar
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:56 pm

RE: restoration of firearm rights

Postby scotman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:45 am

A friend of mine went through a similar incident. But that was a state felony. That meant he had to go to the court he was tried in and ask for a certificate of relief from disabilities. But federal charge is altogether different. I take it you went across state lines so that is federal jurisdiction then not state. Ranwin is right about that get a lawyer better yet if you are a member of the NRA they have a list of lawyers that specifically deal with gun rights cases. The list is available to all members. Simply call their member hotline and they will find you a lawyer closest to you that they recommend. Make sure you tell them it was a federal charge.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Return to Regulatory issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest