How did the youth portion go for the rest of you guys?

wolfcliff

How did the youth portion go for the rest of you guys?

Postby wolfcliff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 am

We had 5 youngin's and seems the QDM and food plots are keeping them homebodies here in Morgan county. Four out of five had a deer down before 8:00am Sat. morning and the last boy got a small buck Sunday evening. We are hoping that with antler restrictions this portion will be the only small bucks taken on Indian Creek ranch for the season. Lots of bigger bucks seen cruising sat morning, but the kids didn't care they just wanted a deer.
Cliff ,

ranwin33

RE: How did the youth portion go for the rest of you guys?

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:32 am

It's great that the kids got out to do some hunting and shooting.  Nothing like success to keep them coming back for more.

I also think it's a pretty good deal that the APR's don't apply to the youth season. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:41 am

I took my youngest Daughter out the first weekend of the Youth Season,we didn't see anything the first morning out,when we got back to the house I saw a Deer lay down in the tall grass behind the house...we did a stalk on it out in a CRP field but when we finally got to where it was bedded down it had moved and crossed the fence where we jumped it up in some thick briar patches and didn't get a shot off.The next day we ended up waiting until evening to go out and as we were making our way to sit up in a raised box blind by our food plot there was a Doe & Fawn already feeding out in it,we slowly made our way closer but thick cover and several cedar tree's kept my Girl from making a good shot with Her red dot scope mounted on a Rossi .243 Rifle so we waited til they left and we climbed up in the stand and sat there til dark but we saw no more Deer movement the rest of the last day!

I took her out again in the last Youth Hunt in January but with the freezing cold weather she didn't last long and we didn't see anything saturday morning or when we hunted the last 1 1/2 of light that evening.At least she got some experience and I didn't push her into staying out and not enjoying Hunting. [;)]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 am

Congrats to both you and her for getting out in the last youth season - too cold and too much snow for my old bones.  Hope you have better luck next year.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Missouri