Blackpowder Begins this Weekend.

ranwin33

Blackpowder Begins this Weekend.

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Only does for me. But bringing my bow, just in case I want to go for another buck.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Modeerhunter

Re: Blackpowder Begins this Weekend.

Postby Modeerhunter » Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 am

Blackpowder season is a thing of the past in Missouri, as they are now going to allow centerfire handguns during that portion of the upcoming season. I'm predicting that within a few years, they will also allow centerfire rifles during that period and we'll have 2 regular firearms seasons. Can't say I really like the change in the regulations. We already have too much sustained hunting pressure during November and December as it is.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am

This may not be the death of Blackpowder season in Missouri. Mississippi has "Primitive Weapons" season. This includes bow, Blackpowder guns, inline and traditional muzzleloaders, and single shot center fire rifles with exposed hammers and in calibers larger than .35. Alot of folks predicted the death of the Blackpowder guns when the regulations were updated to include the center fires. While, the numbers of Blackpowder guns may be less, there are many hunters who still prefer to use their muzzleloaders.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Modeerhunter

Postby Modeerhunter » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

MSHunter wrote:This may not be the death of Blackpowder season in Missouri. Mississippi has "Primitive Weapons" season. This includes bow, Blackpowder guns, inline and traditional muzzleloaders, and single shot center fire rifles with exposed hammers and in calibers larger than .35. Alot of folks predicted the death of the Blackpowder guns when the regulations were updated to include the center fires. While, the numbers of Blackpowder guns may be less, there are many hunters who still prefer to use their muzzleloaders.

It's not the death of blackpowder guns, but you can't call it "Blackpowder" season when you are allowing ceterfire weapons of any kind. Our new regulations will allow any ceterfire handgun, including the large rifle caliber handguns. It's only a small progression to allow centerfire rifles into this second season. We already have a November season where hunters can use any weapon they prefer to, and I don't see the need for a second season. Our deer population is stable, and so is our harvest. It would be a simple matter for the MDC to change the name of the season and explain to all of us hunters as to why they think it's necessary to have a second firearms season.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Tue May 15, 2012 11:10 am

A 2nd firearm season are you flippin kidding me . Blackpowder hunters in Missouri have had 2 season to hunt for years without any complaints from rifle hunters but now that us pistol hunters have a 2nd season the blackpowder hunters want to pitch a fit and have even started thinking that they need a 3rd season (just for them ) :lol: . Get over yourselves already , the deer I shoot on my private property leagaly , you would have never had a chance to shoot with your flintlock anyway .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Return to Missouri