Coyotes vs. Deer in N. Missoiri?

JPH

Coyotes vs. Deer in N. Missoiri?

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:04 am

I once participated in the Missouri bow hunters wildlife survey, so they send me the data each year. Because the habitat in Missouri is so diverse across the state, I usually just look at the data for Harrison Co. (where my place is) and the surrounding counties.

Not only was I disturbed to see that Harrison was so much lower than it's neighbors in deer sightings in 2008, but the numbers re. coyotes also gave me pause.

Here are the number of bow hunter sightings/1,000 hrs. by county.

Harrison Co. deer = 726 coyotes = 33
Mercer Co. deer = 1055 coyotes = 0
Grundy Co. deer = 1236 coyotes = 10
Daviess Co. deer = 933 coyotes = 14
Gentry Co. deer = 1138 coyotes = 11
Worth Co. no data

Hmm. Is this a telling statistic or do I have too much time on my hands?  

ranwin33

RE: Coyotes vs. Deer in N. Missoiri?

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:00 am

It is interesting data, but I'm not sure how accurately it reflects deer populations and the impact upon those populations by coyotes.  Without knowing how many different hunters in different settings provided the information, and how observant those reporters are with their observations, it would be hard to say that coyotes are impacting deer numbers.

I went back to deer harvest statistics for the 2008 archery season and found numbers that appear to be opposite of what the deer sightings indicate.

Harrison - 431 deer killed during archery season 2008/2009.
Worth - 171
Grundy - 216
Gentry - 253
Daviess - 360
Mercer - 397

So while those hunters reporting deer/coyote observations are reporting fewer deer and more coyote observations in Harrison County, Harrison County hunters are killing more deer. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:52 am

Excellent points Ranwin33.

I wondered the same things. For example, Worth Co. offered no data which leads me to believe that they did not have a single participant in the survey. How many did Harrison have? How about the others? We don't know.

I also appreciate you providing the harvest data. I did not look that far and it offers me some comfort.

For the most part, I do not lose much sleep over coyotes and their impact on the local deer population. My concern is much more with the poachers that you and I know all too well about. I just thought it was an interesting topic to throw out.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:17 am

It is an interesting topic - is the material they sent you also online.  I'd be interested in seeing what else they might be looking at if anything. 

Yeah, the only problem I have with coyotes is the hunters and dogs that hunt them.

Hope your season is going well.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:38 am

I do not know if it is online. They sent it to me in the mail because I was once a participant, although I no longer take the time to do it. I suppose you could look it up on the MDC web site.

My season has not yet started, but I'm loving the weather and looking forward to sneaking out soon. Maybe we'll cut paths this year.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 am

This weekend temps look good for hunting, below freezing a couple of days. 

Unfortunately most of the rest of October I won't be able to get out anymore.  Looking to spend an entire week on the farm during gun season though.

Do let me know when you'll be in the neighborhood, perhaps I can stop by on my way through.  Although I always seem to be in a hurry coming and going.
Aldo Leopold

Return to Missouri