NW Missouri Field Report – 10/29 to 11/1/2008

ranwin33

NW Missouri Field Report – 10/29 to 11/1/2008

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:19 am

[font=calibri]Weather was warm during the entire visit, a little too warm.  Ladybugs were flying, which makes for an uncomfortable day sitting outside.  Was hoping the freeze earlier in the week would have ensured their [/font][font=calibri]demise. [/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Wednesday, arrived at farm but decided not to do an evening hunt.  It was nice to sit around the barn, enjoy a campfire and be away from work.  Two does and three fawns did make their presence known about 100 yards east at the edge of a tree line.  They were fun to watch, and pretty much ignored us as they grazed on grass.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Thursday morning, sat in the double stand off the Hidden plot.  Probably not the best place to bow hunt, but an excellent gun stand. I decided to hunt it as I am pretty sure we've got a big buck using the draw connected to the stand as a bedding area.  I did not see him that morning, but did see a doe.  Temps were cool, low 40's.  Nothing else moved through.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Thursday evening, sat in the old stand in the New plot.  This stand received only minimal hunting during muzzleloader season last year prior to our installation of the food plot.  After I had climbed into the stand, and before getting my gear hung and sitting down, I heard a rattling in some small oaks right to the left of the stand.  I peered down and watched a small 8 point buck walk between the ladder of the stand and the tree – right beneath my seat.  I have to believe I may have woke him up.  He was too young and two small to shoot, hopefully I'll see him under similar circumstances next year.  About 1.5 hours later a nice doe came out and again walked right underneath my stand.  She hung around for quite a bit, but with warm temps and nearing the rut, I decided to let her walk as well.  I did get some nice photos and little bit of video of her.  Finished the evening calling to a buck that was grunting off in the woods.  I could hear him in the thick brush behind my stand but he never showed himself.  He did respond to my grunt several times.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Friday morning, sat in the Hilltop stand, old reliable.  Temps were in low 50's.  Saw several deer off in the woods at about 70 yards, but couldn't get anything to respond to my calls.  Did have a nice 6 pointer show up around 9:30 a.m., he was the only one that presented a decent shot.  Hope he comes back next year with bigger head gear.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Around noon, on the way down to the Alfalfa plot to collect some game camera cards, we spooked two fawns that had decided to take a nap in a depression in the pasture about 70 yards in front of our barn.  Probably the same two that were out on Wednesday evening.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Friday evening, back to the New plot, but sat the new stand there this time.  Didn't see anything but several thousand squirrels.  They sure are thick this year.  Pretty sure I heard a deer traveling through the leaves back in the brush, sounded too large to be a squirrel, but never could see it.  Based upon deer travel I watched from the Hilltop plot, and what I am seeing on this plot, I believe we have unwittingly set up on the edge of a deer bedding area.  Gun season should provide several opportunities once the remaining leaves drop.[/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Saturday morning, hunted the Hilltop plot again.  Light misting rain and fog kept visibility to a minimum until after 8 a.m.   Watched a button buck head through the woods in front of the stand at about 40 yards.  Following him was a nice size 8 pointer, nice white tines, but spread wasn't outside the ears, he was no more than 2.5 years old.  I could see my brother shooting him come gun season as he went in the direction of what I believe is a bedding area my brother will be hunting near.  With a lot of time left in archery season though, he just was not for me.  Nearing 10 a.m. I had a button buck show up on the Hilltop plot.  Very difficult to tell if it was a doe or a button buck initially, but I could eventually make out the buttons.  He posted up broadside several times at 10 yards, too bad he was not a doe.  With planning to leave that afternoon, I probably would have shot it.  I did get a picture of him and me taking his picture from the treestand on the game camera we have got covering the foodplot.  Kind of neat, but it only captures his back half and I'm not real clear in it.  Saw a few more deer off in the distance, but nothing that would be close enough to shoot.  [/font]
[font=calibri][/font] 
[font=calibri]Deer are definitely moving more – cannot wait to get back up and do a little archery hunting 11/12-14 before gun season starts.  All in all, another great weekend on the farm.[/font]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Missouri