Gloves

Sierra

Gloves

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 am

Hi. Could anyone offer any recommendations for REALLY warm gloves for cold weather? I have bought the most expensive pair at the store that seemed great until today. After two hours it felt as though someone had put on boots and then jumped on my hands a few times, and my pinkies did not want to bend. Hard to hunt with your hands pulled into your coat. I am not sure why I have such a hard time keeping my hands warm. Cool would be fine too, really. Just not frozen. I have had mild frostbite years ago if that makes a difference, though not sure why it would now. I also have really seriously skinny fingers. Maybe that's it? Grasping at straws. Anyway, I once owned a pair of lined neoprene gloves, and those were great, but I am having trouble finding a new pair. So, if anyone has recommendations I am all ears. I don't care how much they would cost. This caused me to leave my stand today and go to my car to warm them.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Deebz

Re: Gloves

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am

My wife gets cold very easily also... Her solution has been to wear two pairs of gloves. She has a very thin, cheap, stretchy kind of thing (I think of them as little kid gloves) that she wears. Then she has a bigger mitten style pair that she wears over those. They have the flip back top part. She keeps hand warmers in the flippy part to keep her hands warm, then she can flip them back when it's time to shoot. They have a magnet to keep them from flipping forward at a bad time, which works great and it's not noisy like velcro or buttons.

I seem to remember seeing gloves that have built in handwarmer pockets as well...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I decided to start trying to find gloves again, and I found a pair of Glacier Gloves that look promising. I went ahead and ordered them, so hopefully they will be good. They are fleece-lined neoprene, and also have a camo pattern. If these do not work out, I am going to try your wife's idea.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Wow, I just ordered the gloves yesterday at lunchtime and they arrived today. They look like they will fit the bill, and they fit very well. I can't wait to test them out. I wish I didn't have so much piled up at the office or I would develop a cold overnight. ;-)

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:02 am

I have some kind of nerve damage and/or circulation problem in my hands and feet and it has become almost unbearable. My hands get to the point of a burning sensation and no glove provided any relief. I have a pair of Cabela's MT50's and one of their muffs and they no longer keep my hands warm even when using Hot Hands in the muff. I've actually had to cut some hunts short because my hands were hurting so bad. I had to decide to find something that would work or give up hunting in cold weather. A week or so ago, I saw Cablea's had their "Heated Performance Gloves" on sale. These are made for Cabela's by Gerbings. I never thought I would entertain the idea of spending that kind of $$ on gloves but I did. The difference in these gloves is they have heating elements that extend to the tip of each finger.Yesterday morning it was 28 degrees and I gave them the first field test. At only 25% output, they kept my hands and fingers toasty warm!!! The only regret is not getting them sooner.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Interesting. Are they big and bulky or like normal gloves?

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:41 am

They are not any more bulky than other insulated gloves. Actually, they are less bulky than the MT50's. They are "gauntlet" style that come up past the wrist.

Scoutfish

Postby Scoutfish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Without seeing your gloves and knowing how cold it is...it's hard to say>>
I
I work outside-ish all year long. I install garage doors and door openers on mostly new houses, so 90% of the time, I get my heat in the summer and AC in the winter. No breeze blowing into the garage when it's hot, always a cold draft / wind blowing in the garage when it is cold.

So I deal with steel doors. You spell that C-O-L-D ! :)

BIggest mistake I ever made was with gloves and sock:

Over kill IS NOT A GOOD THING! Sure, your hands might feel nice and toasty warm at first, but then they get a little bit too hot and start to sweat. YOu probably don't even know it because it happenes gradually. Soon, they are wet and wet means they get cold. Insulation packs down and isn't much better than non insulated gloves.

I really made this mistake with thick wool boot socks. Socke rated for walking in snow are too much for when it is only 39 to 40 degrees. Same thing: Feel great at first, but my feet SLOWLY got warmer and warmer. The sweat ( that I didn't notice) caused the wool to pack down thin. AS thing as regular sock...except they were also wet.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey Deebz, I was thinking of your post about the glove setup your wife has, and I wanted to let you know that my new gloves have really passed the test. If you felt like getting her a pair to try, they are by Glacier Gloves, and they are their fleece-lined neoprene gloves. They are really warm, and I can also fish stuff out of my pocket with them without a problem. They go right in my trigger guard as well. I paid $35 for mine. http://glacierglove.com/, but I got mine from Amazon. (Incidentally, I also love Amazon. I ordered these on Tuesday afternoon when I originally posted, and I got them the next day.)

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the info. That would make a really nice gift.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Return to Clothing