2010-2011Winter

crazybull

2010-2011Winter

Postby crazybull » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 am

I'm still pretty new to the New Hampshire area and was wondering how this past winter was going to affect the deer herd. The area of the state that I live in did't really start getting its snow fall until January. We seemed to get our winters worth of snow all in January and Febuary. Do you think that the extra time that there wasn't any or much snow on the ground gave the herd more time to put on some fat for the winter or at least recover from the rut to reduce deaths due to the winter. Also and this may just be me but with the quick snow melt we had in at least the southern part of the state has me hopeful that the fawn mortality rate may drop. All in all the in my opinion I think the some what mild winter is going to produce some nice hunting in the next two years or so.
Fear the government that fears your gun!

stoneman

RE: 2010-2011Winter

Postby stoneman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 pm

I agree that though we did get a lot of snow for January and February in this state it came late and melted early. I think that the deer herd did very well this winter. I spend a lot of time even in the off season in the woods and I did not come across any dead deer this year. In past years, I usually come across at least a couple of deer lost to the hard winter or coyotes. The deer population should be on the rise after the last few fairly mild winters and tighter doe kill restrictions.

Return to New Hampshire