2009 Journal

DeanoZ

2009 Journal

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:08 am

Opening day Bow (Antlered) is two days away.  All my clothes have been scent sanitized and packed into my carbon storage bag.  All gear has been sanitized as well and stored in a plastic bag in my pack, also in the carbon storage bag.  Will put my new Rage 2's on tonight, wipe down the bow, quiver, check the sights and put it back in the case until opening day.  I've gone over my strategy, how I'll get in the woods and what I'm looking to harvest.  The rest is all in God's hands....oh and the forecast 70% chance of rain showers on and off through the day, thunderstorms, and mid 70 temps... [8|]

DeanoZ

RE: 2009 Journal

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:26 pm

I had some mixed emotions going into the Bow Opener based on having to find a new hunting location  a week ago, as well as a forecast for rain. Both proved to be non-factors and although I did not kill a deer that day I saw plenty of them and it was great to get back in the woods again.  The mornings hunt presented a few challenges as I was running behind and testing out a new configuration, which led to the first missed opportunity of the season.  A 6-8 point with two does in tow appeared like a ghost as I was still getting settled in the stand and quickly faded out of range by the time I grabbed my bow and was ready.  The rain held off until 3pm at which point it came down in buckets.  A quick download from weatherbug.com on my BB told me the rain would last about an hour and then become clear.  Based on that forecast I stuck it out figuring once the rain stopped the deer would come out again...and come out they did...all does and not the shooter I saw earlier that morning .  All told I saw about 14 deer that day, no shots but nevertheless it was a great day and I was happy just to see deer.  For me it confirmed my scouting skills on a new piece of hunting ground I had walked only once before.  I'll have to refine my stand location and setup, but I'm definitely in the right ballpark.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:20 pm

I am glad to hear that it has worked out in your favor so far. 14 deer in a day is a great day in my book! Good luck on the next shot opportunity.!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:42 am

That's awesome to hear DeanoZ.......seems like the new property searching payed off! Best luck next time out!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 am

Yes it did CnG...I went out there during my lunch hour to adjust my stand position about 75 meters NW...I'm in a better spot and sure enough thats closer to the convergence point...I wanted to be right on that point but someone else has the same idea..grrrr public hunting!!!!!   Anyway, they have to come through me first and I'm hunting tomorrow morning so we'll see what happens...thanks for the well wishes all...hope to have some good pics tomorrow! 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:12 am

Relocated my stand southeast and did a short hunt this morning.  Wind, temps and and just coming off a full moon so the deer were moving.  I actually bumped a few going to my stand, even though I went way around to avoid doing that.  Got my stand configuration down so it went a lot smoother this morning.  Saw a fox and 1 doe, that's it.  Pretty certain I had the place to myself...only saw one other car in the lot.  Perhaps the sightings I had on opening day were more a result of hunters bumping more deer my way?  Still I'm certain this is a good spot so I'll be back there on Saturday morning.

charlie

Postby charlie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:58 pm

what town in jersey do you hunt? i hunt in readington 15 acres kind of hard deer like to stay close to houses.  best of luck.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:19 am

Charlie I hunt public land in Monmouth County.  If you go to their county website they have several properties you can access once you apply for and purchase a permit...as does Hunterdon County as well.  Is your spot in Readington public or private land?  I would not write it off..there is some good hunting in that area and when the rut comes they will be moving all over the place.  For sure I'm betting you probbaly have a few monsters lurking in the safety of those residential areas...they'll come out eventually just a matter of time and patience.

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:28 am

Charlie - Readington is a great place to have land to hunt! 15 acres is more than enough land to hunt and come another few weeks, deer will be moving a lot more......especially those big "backyard" bucks!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Saturday I was in my usual spot at the county park I hunt.  Not as many hunters this weekend, but their presense was definately felt, watching one fumble to his stand not more than 100 yards from my spot, white flashlight blarring all the way..and another crashing through the woods to my west...so I had a feeling that mornings hunt would be fruitless.  Yet a nice doe came by providing the perfect broadside shot..she actually came right to my tree but was none the wiser, so my scent routine is working well.  i let her walk as right now I'm more interested in getting a buck,Glassed a spike in the distance but he neve came within shooting range..I'd of passed on him anyway.  I left the woods at 10am, just as it started to rain and so I'd have time to scout another piece of public property that affords Sunday Bowhunting.  My maps spots were good as there was good sign and well worn trails.  I found three spots and set up in the most promising of the three Sunday morning.  It was a stream crossing with intersecting trails...only problem was finding a suitable tree to hang my sstand from.  I did find one but unfortunately it had a lean and would only allow me to clime to 12 ft.  I sat there Sunday morning...temp was hovering just above 40...it was cooler than it had been in some time and i figured the deer would be moving.  Shortly after sunrise I noticed movement to my front and a nice fat doe came into range, turned broadside about 10 yrds out and then stopped, looked up and saw me...she could not quite make out what I was, but was unable to wind me.   She wasn't sure what I was but was nervous nevertheless, and bolted.  No matter I was not planning to shoot her anyway.  That was the only sighting I had all morning and came off stand around noon.  I discovered cornfields  on another section of the land and scouted the woods leading to them, only to find two huge oaks and the ground littered with acorns...untouched.  So for the evenings hunt I hanged my stand in that spot, wondering if they moved later.  The afternoon came and went without a single sighting...which I found perplexing?  Perhaps it was the loud engines of hot rods and dirt bikes that caused them to steer clear of the area.  I'l be revisiting the first spot in the middle of the week.

Next

Return to New Jersey