NY Deer Densities - Where's the Hottest Spot?

Headrush

NY Deer Densities - Where's the Hottest Spot?

Postby Headrush » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Well, my buddies and I have lost yet another property to a land sale.  A nice gravel pit area with farm country all around has really put some deer in the freezers for us over the past 7-8 years.
With that said I've been looking at properties via the internet satellite imagery (Will post another thread with links), and I've located 10 funnel-type areas on the West side of Canandaigua lake in the Bristol Hills.

The reason I've been looking there is that over the past 15 years or so I've become familiar with that side of the lake, both by traveling RT 21 north and south to Alfred for college, and other things.  There are always TONS of deer over there and generally in the Naples/High-Tor Area as well. So...

I'm wondering if this IS the hottest part of our state for deer hunting or not?  I don't know where to look for that info (Deer densities) so I just might call DEC and ask, but I wondered what you folks would know about it.

After all, If I want to kill BIG bucks I have to go where there's a good to great chance of running into one.

Thanks in advance.  Hope you all have a safe and lucky season!
Bill
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

JOEL

RE: NY Deer Densities - Where's the Hottest Spot?

Postby JOEL » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 am

the DEC will post a deer take at the end of the season that may help you pick a new location,its broken down by buck,doe and county ,dmp its on the DEC website heres the link for ya http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/37304.html
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JBow

Postby JBow » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 am

We've hunted two years now in Schuyler County, just above Watkins Glen in Reading, New York.  Lots of Deer.  Anywhere around the Finger Lakes seems to have great Deer densities!  Have you ever heard of the McMines buck?  That came from Reading.  Call Billy Bob at Seneca Marine and talk to him about the area.  He gave us a ton of info this year about where to go.

Good Luck! 
IF IT'S WORTH DOING, IT'S WORTH DOING RIGHT!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:21 am

Headrush...yep there are some awesome buck in that area ...just check out the buck taken in Cohocton this year(NY Outdoorsmen)...but if you want a really big buck ...southern Monroe county is the ticket as well ...but that's a door to door or who you know proposition....DEC can let you know how to get into that area...bow hunting...Avoca...Bath  area your in Alshiemer territory...so you know there are good buck....our camp is in Alfred but the deer there aren't huge ...no farms but we do have a lot of them....DEC purchased a big parcel at the end of Canandaiqua lake a couple of years ago.Good luck

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:20 am

At our NWTF meeting the other nite, DEC said the numbers were down in Broome and Tioga Cty this year. Could be true, yesterday was my best day of sighting. 3 bucks, 5 doe.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Well its about that time, and we're looking for new spots once again. Been a tough couple of years as far as figuring out properties. usually takes my buddies n I a couple years to really start to get to know their habits.

Bumpity bump bump back up the front page. New spots, info is still welcome - THANKS!

Good luck this year!
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

Return to New York