New York Report....

Everyday Hunter

New York Report....

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 am

We're into the third day of the New York firearms season. Any reports?

Four of us hunted on private land on Saturday. I saw 8 deer (including a 4-point) and some turkeys, my buddy saw one nice buck he couldn't get a shot at, but he did shoot a coyote, his wife saw 12 deer (five were young bucks), and another buddy saw only 4 deer (all does). The day was nice except for the variable winds. It was impossible to hunt the wind. It was constantly swirling, and certainly spreading human scent in every direction.

On Sunday afternoon I checked out a new property and saw lots of deer sign, but no deer. It's close-by, and I may go back there today if I can get out.

Who's hunting, and how are you doing?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

highridgehunter

Re: New York Report....

Postby highridgehunter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Hunting Catt. County and saw only 5 deer. First light around 6:50 a good size doe then shortly after a half rack 4 on one side came into 15 yds. While watching him had a few more deer come in then a coyote. Missed him at 100 yds in the slash. That was it till 11 then the half rack came in again and then again at 1:15. He will be a nice buck next year. He is about an inch or so outside of the ears. Everyone in our camp have been seeing low numbers. We have a poaching problem on the neighboring properties as well as lots of coyotes. Got to kill them- the coyotes.

Sunday and Monday did not see a deer.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Hunted all day today in Chautauqua County and didn't see a deer. Rain has come in. I'll probably be out tomorrow, but not all day. Maybe a little scouting trip with the rifle.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Had a great hunt on Black Friday! With the warm temperatures we knew the deer would not move on their own. We did a small push and we kicked up 20 does! 15 of them came past my buddy and I .... only 12 kept running past us! We were hunting a farm that is overrun with deer and has DMAP tags for crop damage. We were happy to fill three of them for them that day! Have only seen 1 buck this gun season and he was a shooter for sure but he was running like crazy and I dont shoot at running deer so he is still out there! Good luck everyone!
Attachments
triple.jpg
triple.jpg (134.62 KiB) Viewed 4520 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Nice batch of freezer meat! Don't be afraid of shooting a running deer, most of the deer I have ever taken, were running shots. With a weapon that has seen long practice, snap shots are a pretty safe bet. If the weapon is still new to you, then I would wait for a standing shot. It is a matter of comfort level.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gp4219

Postby gp4219 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:47 pm

kellory wrote: If the weapon is still new to you, then I would wait for a standing shot. It is a matter of comfort level.

That is exactly what my buddy just told me the other day. I am fairly new to the sport and am currently waiting for the new season to start up; all I can do right now is target practice. I am not from the New York area, but some of my friends have arranged for a bunch of us to go up- we found an awesome package through Park Central Hotel NYC- once the season starts off again. Hopefully I'm not too 'jittery' and nervous.

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Seen two pretty decent 8 pointers opening morning. Both within about 80 yards. One either winded me or heard another deer coming which was the bigger one. Second one I seen had the cross hairs on his head as he was behind a tree, but then decided to corner away.

Had a button buck at 15 yards I let pass and seen a few more does on opening day. Only seen one Dow on Sunday. We hunt in Chautaqua county. As a group took three does Saturday and a button buck, then a doe Sunday so far.

Stopped at the taxidermist (the buck stops here in north tonawanda) had some really nice deer already. Happen to see a kid bring in a 200lb bear he shot in rushford on opening day.

cm1al

Postby cm1al » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 am

nothing in my part of Delaware Co., thanks to AR & no doe tags. only deer with horns taken during bow season, 2 in a 25 mi. radius from talking to fellow hunters there ma be 10 deer in this area. AR suck I can see I'll have a hard time feeding the family this year.:(
Seabees best branch of the military
USNR (Ret)

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:20 pm

I forgot to post the picture of my New York buck. Here it is:

Thanksgiving day, 7:35 AM. He's a 10-point -- a wide mainframe 8 with split brow tines. He weighed 170+ field dressed. (Four days later, in Pennsylvania, I shot another 10-point.)

Steve.

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 am

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (133.15 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Hey, its been a while. I shot this buck opening morning of the 2012 gun season in Middleburgh, NY (Schoharie County). He is a main frame 8 with a quadruple brow tine and 13 scorable points...dressed out at 200 lbs. I havent had him aged or scored yet.

Next

Return to New York