food plots

RNC

RE: food plots

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:44 am

Our area is real sandy also. We get our seed from the local co-op they will know what works well in the area. They are usally a little cheaper because you dont have to pay for the Biologic, Antler King, Whitetail Institute or any other seed companies name.  I would try there first. It may be just a matter of getting the soil ph to netural and adding the right amount of nutrients through fertilizer for the plants you want to use and they will grow.

The sandy soil is also part of the reason we put in a sand point well. Even when we get a decent amout of rain the soil drains so fast it doesnt have a full affect on the plants. With the well we can water whenerver the plants need it.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:06 am

I planted buckwheat last week...ran out so only did half the plot before rain....and took a mix of red and wht clovers and top dressed it all has sprouted and growing good...got more buckwheat and some winter wheat for the other half will plant today weather permitting
 Down in the oakflat I planted buck wheat and top dressed with braccacs I had left over.....this was a few weeks ago....buck wheat is 8 in. tall and the deer mowed off the tops...this gave the braccs.enough light and it is up 6in....the buckwheat is branching and flowering ...so if I'm lucky I'll get just enough seed to keep turkey interested and I have a ground blind 20 yrds away facing it .......when frost hits ...I'll loose buckwheat ..but the braccs will sweeten and deer will be accustom to that area as a food source...besides buckwheat has a longer root drawing up good nutrients for deer and turkey health........

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 am

Planted the other half of buckwheat plot ....first half is good the clovers are spouting and the bwheat is up 2 ins. already....there is a small stand of  7ft wht spuce near it and about 200ft. of maples before the ppls open field next door...they can't hunt there because its too close to our barn....I put a stand over looking the bwheat and the older clover field infront of it...to my right are 5 apple tree and 2 mulberry.....Well Mr.B doesn't do the land management thing and due to the close calls I and our daughter have had here at home he usually hunts at camp...but took him out to see the new set up and the first thing he said was ...huh I could shoot a big buck out of this set up...may be hunting here this year [:)]...Yeppers I couldn't be prouder

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Look up sun rich farms..best seeds i have used over the last eight years of doing food plots, you can order any amount they have a great variety and use only seeds..ne inert seed waste or weed seed

buckhunter21

RE: Food plots

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Hey Goose...This was my first year planting food plots, and I've been hunting for 19 years!  Anyways, I live in the west central part of the state just on the other side of the border from the Twin Cities.  My parents own about 150 acres of farm land that I hunt...About half of that is woods/half is tillable.  This year I planted two different plots in Whitetail Institute's Alpha Rack Plus, and two plots in Biologic Maximum.  I also planted one plot in Biologic Biomaxx.  The Maximum is mainly for the late season through the winter for the deer.  The plant seems to sweeten up a a bit after the first frost and I guess the deer love it!  The Biomaxx is a soybean/corn mix.  Anyways, I had success with both of them, but in different areas.  I'm batting about 2-5.  One Alpha Rack produced and one Maximum produced.  My Biomaxx didn't produce as well as I would have hoped.  I'll tell you why this happened...I didn't use any fertilizers or apply any weed killer to any of the plots, which I should have.  Since I was in a hurry to get my plots in I didn't lime the soil like I should have either.  So, that being said, some lime is being put down this fall once my father's soybeans are picked, and then I'm going to frost seed my Alpha Rack Plus in the spring with some Whitetail Institute Extreme.  Next year I will for sure be fertilizing and spreading weed killer as well!  The Biomax and Maximum are annuals, so not sure if I'm going to plant them again or go with something else. 

How bout you, have you done much planting with food plots?  I'm basically just a rookie and would love any advice from you or anyone.  Thanks!

Goose

RE: Food plots

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Im thinking about trying chicory next year dont know a whole lot about it yet gonna do some research they are supposed to be more drought tolerant. Also have heard good things about buck forage oats so Im gonna look at that too.Any of you from Ill. or Mn. have anything you recomend???
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

EatDeer

RE: Food Plots

Postby EatDeer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:54 pm

I've been planting white clovers in the spring, and  planting brassicas in the late summer.         
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:02 pm

I have found that the deer LOVE Winter Rye after the first hard frost and will MOW it to the ground until it is a dirt field.  I plant it in Delaware County and my advise is to put it in as soon as the seed becomes available.  Oh the Bears like it too.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Joe G, Thanks for the info. I like hearing what others who hunt NY have success with. Do you plant anything else or have you had the best luck with Winter Rye?
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:06 pm

By the way welcome to the forum! You will absolutely love it there are some great people with loads of information.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

PreviousNext

Return to New York