food plots

msbadger

RE: Food Plots

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:46 am

Well all you have to do is mention equipement and me in the same sentence around Mr. B. to hear all about things breaking...[:o]...once again just dumb things ..because I'm a nut about watching oil and chain lub. .... cleaning..and tire pressure.
I've gotten(knock..knock..) very good at making my wedge cuts and directing falls...I also always clear a running path around a tree ...just incase[;)]..but kick backs are the thing I think I'm most conscious of...I like hand cutting because you can hear that first crack

passin through

RE: Food plots

Postby passin through » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Welcome Nathan!  In answer to you question .... It depends.  One thing for sure to bring in more deer though would be to fertilize those oaks.  After that depending on your soil type there are several good blends out there.  Personally I don't plant too much for the sping just because down here everything greens up so quick and you would have to have a good sized plot to make much difference.  I'd get a soil test, Lime your ground based on that and plant in late August early september.  I like Brassica's and Greens....Imperial No-Plow is my favorite.  Right now all I'd do is put out a mineral lick in the vicinity and fertilize those oaks and pull a soil test so you know how to lime it later.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

nathandemoss09

Postby nathandemoss09 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:16 pm

What type of mineral lick and what type of fertilizer should i put and how?

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:02 am

Nathan, welcome to the forum. I really don't bother that much with plots in the spring or especially the summer, simplly b/c of the weather. I've planted plots in Sept. and had them die before season due to our great La.  heat and drought. Pt's advice about the oaks and mineral licks is sound. I like the deer cocaine and have had some success with it. Thing is you probably need to put it out now b/c, for whatever reason, the deer really want fool with it for a while. Put some out one season and it was almost a year before they started pawing it up. Bass Pro and even your local co-ops usually always have licks available. The one I got from Bass Pro looks like a rock (and about as heavy), and the deer wiped it out in a week. Don't remember the name of it, but the animals loved it! Like PT said, I would try to capitalize on those big oaks by fertilizing (especially if they are white oak). That's like filet mignon to a whitetail and with cutover and pine thicket on either side they'll bed up and hit them regularly. I use Triple 13 fertilizer.

Again, welcome to the forum! Lots of great people and info here.

passin through

Postby passin through » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:59 pm

I generally put out Livestock blocks I by at the farmers co-op  They are called "trace mineral blocks" and are relatively cheap---- Less than $10 for 50lb block.  These aren't specifically tailored for whitetail but they work very well ...you can buy more expensive ones too that are.....remember to set it on a stump so it won't dissolve so quick......
Trip 13 works good on the oaks there is another that you can get but I forgot what the blend is....call a nursery and tell them you want to boost acorn production & what fertilizer should you use, they may have something different.....To put it out you scatter the pelleted form from the base of the tree out to the edge of the crown.  Th eother one I'm trying to think of we got in a liquid form and applied it in a small trench around the outside edge of the crown.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

nathandemoss09

Postby nathandemoss09 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Can i plant rye grass in the spring and summer?

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:38 am

you can but the main issue with that will be that as an attractant rye grass only has about a 6-12 week peak time for protein content during its life cycle(which is what makes it so good an attractant in the fall/winter).  As it matures it will become a tougher less palatable stalk that the deer will not find as appealing.  That is why lots of farmers plant it for winter grazing for cattle because if you plant it late (September) and turn cows in on it after the first frost it will generally hold out until spring green up.  If you really want to plant something here in LA in the spring or summer  I would recommend peas, corn or soy beans.  Biologic has a good blend called Biomaxx.

WNYDeerHunter

RE: Food Plots

Postby WNYDeerHunter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:29 am

I put in 2 mixed clover plots about 4 years ago, and they are great for the early spring and summertime, and then Fall when everything else is dead as long as the snow hasn't covered them up.  This past summer I put in some turnips and mixed kales, and they were a deer magnet in late gun and muzzelloader season, and then throughout the winter.  Checked them out this past weekend and they were basically gone, and the deer dug up the turnips and ate them as well.  I think what you plant all depends on what you want to provide for the deer.  Corn was a huge draw in my area this winter due to the very deep and extended snow pack, and definitely kept the deer going through a hard winter.

buckhunter21

RE: food plots

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 am

First off, welcome to the forum bmstaaf!

I think your best bet is to plant a perennial and annual.  For the perennial plant a clover mix, something that'll come up in the spring and last them through the summer and early fall.  Then as far as a late fall/winter plot that you can hunt over, I'd put some kind of brassica out.  I highly recommend Biologic's Maximum.  I planted it for the first time last year and the deer loved it...Once that first frost hits the starch in those leaves turns to sugar and it's like candy!  Bottom line though I think you need a variety so start there!
QDM!

Demoderby4

RE: food plots

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:12 pm

First of all welcome! These guys are great when it comes to qdm stuff, well heck they are great with whatever you need help with! But this will by my first year doing some plots and I will be doing a clover mix for earlier fall plots (mainly for archery season) and then doing some turnip, rape, and brassica mix for winter (firearm and muzzle loader.) I can't help much sense I really don't have much hands on experience but I have researched a lot, and I have read a lot that deer will hit clover real good early season, and all year for that matter; and turnip, rape and brassica in late season. As Buckhunter stated, the frost turns em into deer candy! I will let you and everyone else know how my plots turn out and what works best, hopefully we can share some ideas and help each other out some! Good luck and let us know on what you decide! [:)]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

PreviousNext

Return to New York