food plots

kribbz

RE: food plots

Postby kribbz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:05 pm

msbadger, would you have a picture of that little piece of equipment?  I would love to see what one of those looks like. 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:11 am

No problem...not bad for 2.99 huh[;)]

richardnixon

Postby richardnixon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 am

I would also like some advice on what to plant upstate by me I'm just below albany in the catskills and there are powerlines running through my property. Im just a beginning bow hunter/gun hunter and this past season i handnt seen any bucks just does i plan on setting up a nice plot on the edge of the woods and the power lines, any suggestions?

dave12bow

Postby dave12bow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 am

what we did in nys was to plant clove for the deer the does loved it and we had trail pictures of does and three big bucks eating in it last july. come bow hunting nov 1 one big 12 point came in behind two doe he scores 144 now in the freezer and at the taxd. the area was 30 feet by 40 feet in the woods. I think that for your 32 acers i would break it up and try different things to plant
david crance

dave12bow

Postby dave12bow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:24 am

I got the book grow em right by neil and craig dougherty they live in wester ny state help me alot.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 am

easport...I hear you on the rocks thing and my back does as well.....we live on the side of a valley and the glaciers that made it dumped the rocks along the side of the hill...sm...big...boulders..and then when you go to different areas shale...Nice because most of us have nice stone fences that farmers made to mark their borders...nasty because there is NO getting rid of them just down sizing...We have been looking for a used York rake in our are...not happening and I can admit...I'm starting to get too old to pick rocks...so it looks like we'll be buying new this year...they never loose value here....
 I have managed in the past by walking through and piling the bigger rocks then later loading the piles in a wagon and dumping them off site. Then I rake the area with a landscape or rock rake...I have to do this every year for a few years and then it's manageable....when tilling after that I try not to go too deep...I let the buckwheat I plant keep the deeper soils loose and the turnips I over seed in fall keeps the top broken up....when rotating I look at moisture ...sun and high the PH has built up and plant either my own mix of clovers and legumes...or alfalfa....I have found that the rocky soil we have doesn't have the tilth I like to see and the buck wheat is an in expensive soil builder that deer luv...

mombea

Postby mombea » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 am

most important lime lime lime can be heavy to carry i am on year 6 mountain planting test soil spread lime plant clover not sure what grows best in your area clover will grow in almost any spot lots of sunlight i am from canada eastern

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 am

i know that it has been said that you can plant corn and beans by broadcasting them, but i would think that if you can't get any equipment in there to plant them below the surface, you're better off working with something that is meant to be broadcasted.  again, i'm not saying that broadcasting corn or beans is a bad idea, just seems that you could lose a lot of your investment that way not knowing how much is going to 'take.'  i would look into some variations of perennials and annuals that you can broadcast.  sounds like you have a decent area.  maybe put 1/4 to 1/2 of it in a perennial like clover, and then the rest in annuals. 

as far as the the rocky area....it all depends on how big these rocks are!  [:D]  if you can, and it's not too much work, try taking them out a little at a time....but the thing with that sometimes, is that you take them out and then more pop up.  nature of the beast in an area like that.  so, if they aren't that big, you could broadcast more plots in there if you want...take a 4 wheeler when you're done with some kind of drag behind it and go over it a few times and you should be good!
QDM!

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:03 pm

On the first property with cedars, that means a lime deposit. Plant clover. On the property with rocks, I know that rye grass will grow anywhere.
If you can find it you can kill it.

easports

Postby easports » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:28 am

I just read the reponse from Stickman who made a comment about rye grass.  This morning for whatever reason I decide to google rye grass in hopes to see a picture (not knowing what it looks like).  Anyhow I stumbled on to this site.  Anyone looking for information regarding food plots should look at this site.  I though it's great info.

http://www.thejump.net/hunting/food-plots/what-to-plant.htm

PreviousNext

Return to New York