What are the deer doing?

WayneL

What are the deer doing?

Postby WayneL » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:14 am

I have hunted a bunch since the start of the season. The first week was full of tricky does and missed shots (3 shots on 2 deer - all misses!). This week has been full of deer 10 yards out but nothing I want to shoot (fawns and spikes). Hopefully it will come together soon.

I have seen a bunch of scrape activity but the bucks seem to still be roaming in groups with some light sparring. I haven't seen any seeking yet although I have seen a few small bucks run some does out but not it the "rut" type of harrasment. I hunt mainly in Southern NY and this is what I'm seeing.

What are the deer doing by you? Any seeking? Are the bucks still roaming together? It's getting time to put in for my vacation days for the rut but I'm not sure when to take them because of this warm weather.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

NYarcher

RE: What are the deer doing?

Postby NYarcher » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 am

Havent seen alot of activity. Single encounters and alot of 1 1/2 yr. olds mainly spikes and 4 pts. Have seen a few scrape lines and just a handful of small rub lines. less than usual for here at this time of year. Havent even seen 1 single doe! Too much standing corn here still. In my experience my favorite time to be out has always been that first week of november from halloween on. Usually see activity ramp up at that time with seeking and chasing. Good luck.
Venison - the other red meat

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:47 pm

I killed a buck Opening morning but before he came in I had a 1/2 rack 2-3 yr old above me in the field looking into the gully I was in. There was a BIG doe between us and he was definitely looking for her but wasn't chasing. (Wayne County)

Since then I've had a couple small guys (5 pt & spike) come in but they don't seem too interested in the Tinks 69 either as of Sunday morning in Hammondsport (Steuben County). I really starting to think that this warm weather has stalled them a bit. Charlie always says that Temps over 45 degrees really shuts the rutting activity down. Maybe it's getting pushed out toward opening week of gun...boy that'd be nice!

I'll post pics of my 7 pointer soon. I cant get to them right now.

Good luck everyone!

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:14 pm

I have seen a lot of seeking and some chasing in the last few days. Putting out scent is bringing them right in. The weather has been too warm and definately has slowed own the action but the rut is looking good. Gun starts next week so I'm hoping it holds out for another week.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:25 am

Down at camp I saw a huge mature buck at 2pm...then on the way home I nearly had a 10pt take out the van at 10 am.....

The big boys have ampted up their day time movements...I've seen a lot of big buck this year...had some come in ...lost one.....missed another....I'm hoping in a couple of days to fill another tag....Good luck guys

tbone11

Postby tbone11 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 pm

I have been out quite a bit over the last two weeks. Most of my sits have been great as far as seeing buck movement. I have only been hunting for 5 years and have recently experienced my first lost deer. Watched a mature eight ptr holding down a doe for about 45 mins at 75 yrds and mate her twice. No joke. It was Nov. 2nd. Finally at last light she started walking in my direction with big buck in tow. I took a 35 yrd shot. A little long obviously but I had confidence. Turns out I hit him low brisket. He kicked and circled back which is when I got a good look at the wound through my binocs. Saw him lay down, gave him an hour after dark. Four of us lost the blood trail where he was lying. Next day no luck. A few sleepless nights later. I am back out there hoping to run into him again....

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Sorry to hear about that lost deer  I lost my first one last year.  NO fun.  Just keep Shooting, and Sitting.  It'll pay off!

As for the deer behavior...I saw deer chasing hard on Saturday both in the Southern Tier (Hammondsport-Steuben Cty) and up here in Wayne county.  Didn't see anything Sunday tho.  This warm weather is messing them up some IMO

Hopefully it pushes the peak of this years rut back to Saturday Nov 21st!!  BOOM BOOM! 
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:23 am

Seeing bucks every where ....just no shooters near me....let a 6pt walk yesterday and had a 4pt fighting a bigger 6 this morning 40yrds away...then a doe and fawn took the 6pt across wood lot to the turnips and the 4pt...walked 10 yrds broad side past me....walked down to the neighbors  and bedded down in their wood lot.errands to run and back out this afternoon...Very few doe this year here at home...camps another story.... and today one wee little fawn with spots...at a distance I had thought it was a fox...tiny little thing...hope mom survives gun season [:o] 

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:02 am

As was mentioned, the weather has been far too warm.  A lot of the action was suppressed for the entire bow season.  Since I filled my buck tag,  I was hoping to at least get a doe with bow before the gun season opened.  Yesterday was my last chance with bow and I had a small doe perfectly broadside at 20 yards.  Unfortunately, I could not maneuver my bow into position for the shot due to the tree. 

This past Sat I did see a large 8pt walking across the fields.  He was not chasing any does or otherwise acting like he was rutting.  It was about 11 am and he just strolled across the field.  I hope he sticks around for the gun season this weekend.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm

I hunted in Pittsford Tuesday . I was in the stand at 6 am and stayed until 10 . Never saw a thing . The corn was down and the fields were plowed . Nothing came through the high grass between myself and the road . Bummer
Wednesday I went to mendon and hunted with my youngest son . I couldn't get into the stand as it was almost 4' from a platform and over a limb to get into the chain-on . At 68 , i'm not as agile as I used to be . I sat in a spot on the ground . Had a doe at about 25 yards but she knew something was there . She wouldn't step into a shooting lane and the burdocks & shrubs were my cover . It was something like 29 degrees when we first got there .
I put my archery equipment away and was getting the Gun Hunting gear ready . Instead of taking the shotgun , I think I will take my NEF Huntsman inline ...........
Semper Fi !

Return to New York