Stupid ..stupid...stupid!!!

msbadger

Stupid ..stupid...stupid!!!

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:22 pm

How many times have I said...don't grip your bow?...The first shot I get on a buck and what do I do? yeppers gripped the bow and the shot went left....

I had a nice 8pt that I called in tonight...his rack sat high and out to the tips of his ears...though the 8pts were short...but he didn't have that young buck face and his belly was fat and low and he had big shoulders and neck....along with other things..[8D]

He came in thou the bramble and fed my way giving me plenty of time to get a good look at him....he turned and fed to my rt front corner which was a straight on profile and no shot...15 yrds away and there I stood bow in my belt sling waiting he spent well over 5 min. ...which seem like an hour but I was just thinking to my self ...hhhmmm will he go left or rt and come on already...then he turned rt and behind a small group of trees...I raised up and drew...bent at waist... said this is your only shot and released... for a behind the shoulder shot....The second I let go it hit me.... I was gripping the bow and I watched him turn away from me and actually hit the fletching...sending the arrow at a rt angle to the actual shot...He ran out to 40 yrds and stood then circled wide infront of me and milled around...I sayed still and put for 40 min then got down to a clean arrow ..lwith a dirt laiden broad head [&o]

Wanderer

RE: Stupid ..stupid...stupid!!!

Postby Wanderer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:32 pm

msbadger,
Sorry to hear about your miss. The only consolation I can give you is that you're a member of a pretty big club.I won't tell you not to dwell on it (I missed mine on the 13th of this month and I relive it at least once a day). It'll pass and you'll be a better hunter for it.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 pm

I feel your pain! Here's why: http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/deerhunter/article/how_to_mess_up_a_chance_at_a_160_buck

This is what happened to me 2 nights ago.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Well msbadger ---- at least you didn't have to field dress a Ladder Stand like someone else did ! [8|]....[:D][:D][:D]
Semper Fi !

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:51 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

Well msbadger ---- at least you didn't have to field dress a Ladder Stand like someone else did ! [8|]....[:D][:D][:D]

That ladder made the Pope and "Rung" club! Image
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks guys...Just burns me...gosh It couldn't have been a more relaxed ...easy set up!...Well at least it was a clean miss and he didn't spook to bad...I'm doing really well this year calling deer in...which isn't the norm around here....It's also a mistake I won't make again ...given the chance...this year....Fate telling me to hold out for that 10 pt ...I suppose[;)]
 The dogs are barking right now...and through the window I can here a buck chasing doe ...right by the kennel[8|]

MA...been there with a muzzy 4...ricocheted off the back of my 3-d several years ago and went though a steel cattle gate we have up for our garden....the broad head is still stuck inside the gate tubing...left a huge hole...scary when ya think about it....Sorry on your miss...but you have a great story and pics [:)]

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:21 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger
MA...been there with a muzzy 4...ricocheted off the back of my 3-d several years ago and went though a steel cattle gate we have up for our garden....the broad head is still stuck inside the gate tubing...left a huge hole...scary when ya think about it....Sorry on your miss...but you have a great story and pics [:)]

It's OK msbadger, it's all part of the sport of bow hunting! We take the good with the bad. At the end of the day, we just rack it up as experience (once we wipe the tears away)! I wouldn't have it any other way. This is what makes it rewarding when things DO work out. We all butcher up our hunts now and then and I'll be the first to admit that I've probably messed up more hunts that anyone!

Good luck this year and don't be too down on yourself! 

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:23 am

Sorry to hear about your luck, Msbadger. By the sounds of it you have been seeing alot of deer, and it was a clean miss, so hopefully something bigger will step out for ya[;)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:34 am

Its all good MS. pick your head up high and relax. Not only did you not wound him, but it sounds like he didnt spook too bad either. Like M.A. said its all part of our sport, the good, the bad. At least its not as bad as my opening day experience. Good luck! That big ol' 10 pointer just might be in your future! [;)][;)]
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:43 am

Went out to do chores at 9 this morning ...It's pouring rain...Well was then it's a drizzle now...any how I see a flash of wht and look to see a doe bounding away....and whos hot on her tail [:D][:D][:D]...an still in the general area of the stand sight....They deer seem to be sticking to their reg time  table for movement....saw some others out feeding in the open....

Well guys...remember...don't grip your bow! [;)][;)][:)]

Next

Return to New York