NY point of view...

msbadger

NY point of view...

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:46 am

mines been from the porch[;)]...but

I've had bucks sparring ...and this a.m. had a herd of 13 in the field...one young doe started kicking up and running wild ...twisting and turning among the others...slowly on at a time she got them all in a frenzy and they like a flock of starlings circled the field and went down by my stands...little bit later the 3 bucks I've been seeing trotted across the field in tow..

Last night I watched a doe allow her 3 fawns try to nurse...they are 2/3 her size and in their eagerness managed to flip her as she tried to break away...

Down at camp ...lots of acorns and the bear have been active..Mr.B. and I found a claw mark about head high on an ash tree near his dads stand....we were trimming shooting lanes ...I bumped a young one just ten yrds from me on the way to my stand....also  lots of doe and a 5pt near my stand...

What our my fellow NYers seeing?

msbadger

RE: NY point of view...

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:02 am

So none of the NY hunters are seeing anything?...Hhhhmmm

Well perhaps this will get us talking....Have you decided on what part of your hunting areas you will hunt the first day?...Depending on the right wind that is...I'm still trying to decide...We have the new land and it's a great area...but I haven't any stands up......will go in there with the climber and the portable ground blind.....All other areas have had a lot of activity...so wind will be a factor...The farmers have chopped ALL of the corn around us ...so my little patch is all that's left standing...That should be a great draw ...the buckwheat is still flowering and the deer have eaten nearly all the leaves...the cool temps we had a bit ago and now the LITTLE bit of rain has the braccs growing nicely in the turnip plots...camp will have to wait a bit...I need to go and mow an area for dad in-law...and finish new stand site for Nov. hunt.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:20 am

I am not sure where I will hunt opening day . I would like to hunt with my sons but ........ one of them would be telling me not to use a particular stand because of the wind , thermals , sun direction , where I should park my car , blah blah blah . I had better luck taking deer when I would just go out and pick one of my stands at random and take a deer .
The corn and soybeans havn't been harvested in our area yet so the farmers may be doing that during the Bow season . That will have an effect on deer travel . There is soo much standing corn around that the deer could be laying out in it all day long ............
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:46 pm

I held off on posting in this thread until after I checked my cams today. Got a few pics but not as many as I was hoping/expecting. The few bucks I got on cam have finally came out of velvet.

From what I have seen so far the few oak tree that we have here don't have very many acorns. One apple tree in front of my uncle's house has been getting hit hard for the last few weeks and I got a picture of a small 6pt by another apple tree by a stand of mine.

I can't wait for the season to start!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 am

I wish you both Great success and a safe season...I'm heading out for camp now to finish that mowing...the golden rod is so tall by Dads favorite stand...he asked me to go down and DR it for him.....Oh boy...his stand is at the bottom of the hill[&o]...We have a heck of a time dragging our selves up that hill on foot let alone pulling or pushing a 60# mower up it...good thing I'm strong...or stubborn...or just stupid....lol

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 am

I keep forgetting to look in the NY section of the DDH forum!!   I need to check here more often so I can rap with my fellow NY'ers!!  [:D]

I haven't seen much but that is because the family farms I hunt are about 30 miles away....the opposite way from work.  I don't get over there often enough to keep good tabs on what is going on.  I just recently finally broke down and bought a trail cam. 

About two weeks ago, I went to the farms, cleaned up some trails and moved one of my stands to an area where we saw deer moving in and out of quite a bit last season.  Over the years though, I've pretty much honed in where the best stand sites are for the farms and I don't move them around much.  So for me, it's just a matter of deciding that morning which stand would be best considering the wind direction.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 am

sorry I havent posted sooner but was waiting for the farmer to finish picking the green beans so I could get my trail cam. I think my family is set up to possibly have our best season in over 10 years. Picture a 4 square checkerboard. Top left corner is a standing corn field with a 70-80 yrd wide by 200 yrd long goldenrod patch alongside of it. Top right corner is an overgrown nursery filled with cedar, beech, and some apple trees bordered by a field filled with butternut squash. Bottom right corner is a freshly sprouted alfalfa field 2 inches high also bordered by the field of squash. And lastly the bottom left corner is the very eastern end of a 2 mile long patch of swamp and hardwoods. The hardwoods are predominantly oak, beech, maple, ash and poplar and boy there are nuts everywhere. My brother and i located two primary scrapes this spring so we got a few good pics. The last set I just got was video of a 120-130 class 9 pt. nibbling on the licking branch then scraping the ground like a bull. We also have pics of a very large 7 pt., a nice 8 pt. and an assortment of yearlings and plump does. Things are looking great but i guess we'll see. hope everyone has a great year.
Venison - the other red meat

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:08 am

The way you describe your layout ... it sounds like a supermarket for deer. If you give me your location, I'd be willing to watch over the property for you (when you're not there) just to make sure no one trespasses.[:D][:D][:D]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Msbadger, it doesnt propell itself? The one I use does, but on the other hand I don't have to go up too many hills with it so I don't have that experience. I could see it being a pain. Best of luck with it!! and lets stay accident free this weekend[;)]

I wish everyone else the best of luck this coming season and I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of deer taken by my fellow Ny'ers!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Msbadger, it doesnt propell itself?

Evidently ... only downhill ... [8|]

Next

Return to New York