Crossbow Lobby

Squirrelhawker

Crossbow Lobby

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 am

I thought I would pass along some contact info for any that wanted to show their support for the passing of the proposed crossbow bills.
These are the people who need to hear from us and the bill numbers.

I did not supply the links to these folks. My thinking was that if someone thought it important enough, they could easily make it happen while at the same time not making it any easier for the few, confused, and often louder individuals to lobby against this necessity

What you would do is simply have everyone write, email, and call the following folks: 

Gov Paterson 

Pete Grannis 
Com. DEC 

Assemblyman Sweeney 
Chair En Con 

Senator A. Thompson 
Chair Encon 

Speaker Silver 

Senator Smith 
Maj Leader 

We need to get as many people as possible doing this to create as much noise as possible. 

Tell them you support our bills: 

A.924 
A.5940 

NYarcher

RE: Crossbow Lobby

Postby NYarcher » Sat May 16, 2009 11:16 am

I have a question for you hawker. Are these bills going to legalize and open a seperate crossbow season or are they going to coincide with existing archery seasons? If the later is the answer I am more than against it. Im for crossbows but only in a seperate or partially overlapping season. If crossbow was legal to use during archery season IT WILL bring out more of the irresponsible hunters who ignore laws and property bounderies. The average archer in our state is typically a whitetail maniac and puts countless hours into practice and prep. The average gun hunter is not the same. Their are alot of weekend warriors mainly from populated areas and many others who dont put in the time to be accurate with their weapon. Most of whom are gun hunters. In 23 years of deer hunting I have yet to harvest a buck during gun season. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have had tresspassing hunters ruin things for me, or watch guys take pop shots at running deer at impossible distances. On the flip side of that I have taken a buck every year but 1 since my first was taken with a bow. And I have rarely had bad experiences during archery season with other archers. Unless there is a seperate season, NO to crossbows.
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat May 16, 2009 11:47 am

God bless ya....NYarcher.....but you poor thing... did you just step in it!

P.S.though it sounds similar I do not know him...so give him a break....lol 

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:17 pm

I used to be totally against crossbows since I was brought up hearing that they were the "poachers weapon" and yada yada. I know noone who owns a crossbow and the only time I had ever used one was at a fair. After reading about crossbows I realized how ignorant I was on the subject and how misinformed people are about them. There are many crossbow myths out there. Now I am not saying I am all for them or all againt them. If they were legal I would probably not use one but I really dont care for how its illegal if I were ever interested in the sport of crossbow hunting. Just like other subjects like this there are pros and cons.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun May 17, 2009 5:57 am

The CrossBow manufacturers are the main folks pushing for legislation to pass bills to allow them in New York State .......... Nothing like shooting a crossbow bolt at 405 fps and dropping it into a softball sized target at 100 yards ! No need to practice any more . A real timesaver !
Semper Fi !

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Sun May 17, 2009 7:38 am

i really do'nt know how i feel about crossbows but i do believe they should be legal for handicapped hunters and older hunters who can no longer draw a longbow. as far as no longer have'n to practice, i shoot my gun as much as i do my bow . with compound bows making easier to shoot i feel there are just as many poor bow hunters as gun hunters taking shots they should'nt and i know as a landowner they tresspass just as much.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sun May 17, 2009 11:02 am

For all who are reading this I mean nooo disrespect. Through the years I have found that each individual hunters situation is different based on geography and the surrounding hunters in their areas. The situation where I hunt is just like stepping into alot of the state owned areas for hunting. During gun season every Tom, Dick and Harry pop up out of nowhere in my area but it remains pretty quiet during archery season. Im not saying I dont want them to be legal, just that there should be a seperate or partially overlapping season. My father, who has been my hunting partner since I started is currently disabled. But unfortunately after 5 years the state is still keeping it a comp case so he still doesnt have a disability rating. He can no longer pull a bow back and gun season turns into a free for all. As time goes by he hunts less. The only way for him is a crossbow. Better weather early season, more deer encounters and less hunters. So I do have insight to both sides of the fence. And as far as the weapon itself, IT IS far easier to shoot than a bow and arrow. Much easier to put crosshairs on a target and pull the trigger than to have to use strength along with aligning your peep before you pull the trigger on a release. Not to mention it is alot easier to keep a crossbow steady compared to a bow.

P.S. Thanks badger! lol I know it can be a hot button topic.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon May 18, 2009 5:30 am

ORIGINAL: NYarcher

I have a question for you hawker. Are these bills going to legalize and open a seperate crossbow season or are they going to coincide with existing archery seasons? If the later is the answer I am more than against it. Im for crossbows but only in a seperate or partially overlapping season. If crossbow was legal to use during archery season IT WILL bring out more of the irresponsible hunters who ignore laws and property bounderies. The average archer in our state is typically a whitetail maniac and puts countless hours into practice and prep. The average gun hunter is not the same. Their are alot of weekend warriors mainly from populated areas and many others who dont put in the time to be accurate with their weapon. Most of whom are gun hunters. In 23 years of deer hunting I have yet to harvest a buck during gun season. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have had tresspassing hunters ruin things for me, or watch guys take pop shots at running deer at impossible distances. On the flip side of that I have taken a buck every year but 1 since my first was taken with a bow. And I have rarely had bad experiences during archery season with other archers. Unless there is a seperate season, NO to crossbows.

Hello Ny Archer.

The Bills state, if memory serves, to allow the state to implement crossbows as legal hunting tool in NYS. Beyond that I don't know. For what it's worth, for me I don't care. And I honestly don't think you or anyone else should either. Your concerns expressed, like that of a few others are what you THINK will happen. It is based out of FEAR. It is a common human reaction. You and others have no FACTS. Please search for data from other states who have had legalized crossbows for decades. You will find no such phenomena. Anywhere. No one who I have engaged in a discussion on this topic has ever brought to the table any, IMO legitimate, fact based, thoughtful, arguments against adding the crossbow in NY. It is always fear, misinformation, and/or outright selfishness driving their views.

Popular crossbow myths you may be entertaining would include:

Outlandish ranges at ridiculously small targets- FALSE Ballistics are much the same. In some cases kinetics are less due to decreased mass

People running all over the woods- FALSE You have to HUNT LIKE AN ARCHER in order to use the implement.

It is easier than a vertical bow- FALSE Talk to someone who has dragged one around the woods. Or, tried to shoot around behind them in a tree stand. Or wanted a second shot.

Irresponsible hunters. Really? They are just waiting for something like the crossbow to come and plague us? They are not here and there already, but lurking at home for just the right opportunity (that apparently the crossbow presents) to invade your area enmass. Are you sure this what you want to go with?  [:)] 

Did the legalization of inline design, optics, fiber optics, sabots, speed-loaders, etc ruin muzzle loading for any? On the contrary, I bet it made the sport more accessible and enjoyable. I heard of no patch and roundball folks driving each other crazy over it all.

Once again, if anybody has any actual, verifiable, data out there, I stand ready to be taught.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 am

To use the analogy of patch and ball compared to the tech upgrades in todays modern muzzleloaders is rediculous. It would be the same comparing recurve and long bows to todays compound bows. A Shotgun, Rifle, and Muzzleloader all shoot "bullets-slugs" at varying calibers but the method or tool of delivery is different thus giving each its own season. The same should be said for both Bows and Crossbows. Different seasons or partial overlap. If this were to happen I would be onboard. They are completely different weapon types with long history's throughout the world. Plenty of info to show the stark differences between bows and crossbows. My opinion is not based on ignorance or fear but feedback in conversations with locals where I live. many of whom do not bow hunt but would if crossbow became legal. Like I have said before, every hunter has different situations to deal with from geography to the other hunters who hunt in that region.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon May 18, 2009 9:40 am

To use the analogy of patch and ball compared to the tech upgrades in todays modern muzzleloaders is rediculous.

We can disagree here if you want. My analogy was intended to illustrate that both hunters perform the act of hunting with a "muzzleloader" just as the two archers would be propelling a broadhead tipped shaft via a string and stored energy. My main point being that that we rarely if ever see our two muzzleloaders engaged in dumb, divisive arguments. Yet the archer with the vertical equipment sees the other as some form of intruder who has no place in his or her woods. 

Plenty of info to show the stark differences between bows and crossbows.

Mmmm, I don't think I understand what you mean

many of whom do not bow hunt but would if crossbow became legal.

Ya know, talk is cheap. Real cheap. You, me, and every other serious archer knows what it takes to kill with a sharp stick. They can talk all they want. They STILL have to hunt like an archer to make it happen.

Next

Return to New York