Crossbow Lobby

coach

RE: Crossbow Lobby

Postby coach » Sun May 24, 2009 1:21 am

By the way....our Archery season in Ontario Canada is from Oct 1st to Dec 31st .
It works great.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Sun May 24, 2009 2:38 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

if a 35lb draw weight is too much to draw back how are you going to cock a crossbow?

Either with the added leverage of the foot stirrup, and or one of several small crank devices available.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Sun May 24, 2009 2:44 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

ORIGINAL: JOEL

if a 35lb draw weight is too much to draw back how are you going to cock a crossbow?

Either with the added leverage of the foot stirrup, and or one of several small crank devices available.

Unless you think maybe having to stick my foot into a stirrup or get out a cocking device gives me yet another "unfair advantage" over a vertical bow? [:)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun May 24, 2009 6:09 am

Coach....I'm really glad you do'nt have to deal with the same type of individuals that NYarcher ...I and if they were to ever stand up and admit it.... other NY hunters have to deal with....God bless you...but having been out there and dealing with the lack of integrity....respect...and down right un lawfullness of these types of ppl for years and years with little to no help from the DEC ...one becomes more than cautious and rather jaded....We come to know what to expect from those types and prefer not to give them farther opportunity to expand their conduct...If this is a hinderance to other law abiding hunters.... than I suggest WE All band together and find a way to clean up the hunting community....before opening it up to more problems...Do Not judge a persons opinions unless you can say I've walked that mile in their shoes ...please
 Also please do'nt come back with it just fuels the anti's..... not banning together...I personally find that arguement sad and tiresome.....The majority...remember I said majority of those that want X-bows in NY are well equipped and healthy enough to use a reg. bow ...so parading around the physically challenged to further their agenda is low in my opinion...( that sounded harsh ...but was not with disrespect to those with challenges ...just those with agendas).....I think a person with challenges ...real challenges should have that opportunity ...not the general puplic...NYarcher was telling his views through his experiance ...that is not Bashing ...Thank You  

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sun May 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks msbadger. Sometimes I have a hard time explaining things, but ultimately I was just expressing my opinion. coach I just want you to know that the most valid point msbadger had was the fact that the DEC does not take care of the irresponsible hunters in my area. AND my local DEC officer lives only a half mile down the road from where I hunt! I have NO problem with law abiding and responsible hunters. We show respect to one another and hunt appropriately. Im far from greedy when it comes to any hunting. I just introduced my girlfriend to archery and she went out for her first season with me last year. (most guys wouldnt even dream of getting a woman involved!)Im an advocate for getting new blood involved with the outdoors and hunting and I have had many others as guest over the years to hunt with me and my family. Deer hunting in my family has become tradition since the early seventies. But most importantly I was brought up to respect and follow the rules. Unfortunately their are alot of irresponsible and ignorant hunters out there too. And last but not least coach, you come from a different country with different laws and rules, not to mention canadians as a whole are much different compared to us americans, so you probably dont understand.
Venison - the other red meat

coach

Postby coach » Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Maybe Being Canadian and not having the same rules, ....your right.....maybe I don't understand. 
But there..... you both said it.....
" I don't have to deal with the hunters "  HUNTERS>   Not crossbow....HUNTERS.
By the way guys....uh...what is DEC.  (police) ?  Sorry.

No matter what they use....its the hunter you guys have to deal with.  Not the tool. 

In the old days, there were 30-30. Now, 308...30-06....300 Mag....338 Mag.....From lever action to semi automatic....From the old muzzle loader that use to shoot up to 80 yards....to muzzle that now shoot up to 200 yards.  Its all getting easier.  But that's a money issue.  I think.
People are not against the new improved muzzleloader that now shoots like a rifle.
Isn't crossbow a different archery tool that is being use.  If you hear people say they shoot 80-90 yards with a crossbow, they are the type of hunters that....1) don't know distance very well,  2) are very irresponsible.....or 3) Think they are Robin Hood even though they look like Little Red Riding HOod.

But again...your letting people with crossbow....bad reputation.....past a judgement on crossbow hunting itself.

I appolagize for coming the wrong way....Its hard being a Frenchy and try to give straight opinion.

So if everybody that uses crossbows were responsible....would you still be against it?

Again to both.....Sorry for the previous email.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

coach

Postby coach » Mon May 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Do Not judge a persons opinions unless you can say I've walked that mile in their shoes ...please

By the way....I have walk that mile....in a different country....but I've walked it.  It was with a Bow Hunter. PSE compound Hunter using my treestand on my property.  DURING RIFLE SEASON>  [:@]
I was so AAHAHHHHAHHHHH

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 am

Coach ...as for that "mile"...if it was your land he was on.... I hope you turned him in for trespassing

The DEC is ..Dept. of Eviromental Conservation...and I should have said "no help from ECO"...Enviromental Conservation Officer....and they are'nt all "Bad" I've actually delt with a couple of good ones...one in our area and well I had to call in others from a differant region for results and they were great.

As far as the weapon it's self...well you saw me say I've been lobbing against rifles in my region 8 area...I can hunt and took my 6pt last year with rifle down in reg 9 where they are legal....I'm not against rifles but here in N.Y.....knowing the ppl in the area they would be a danger in this well populated area...We have too many road shooters now with shot gun and bows even....and yes the guys that shoot at running deer at 500ft(not an est. ...what I observed many a time) with a shot gun....arrows sticking out of deer behinds ...necks ....legs...and the "ya I shot but it did'nt look hit"....deer that I've found on our land and had to put down...

I said that those who ca'nt pick up a reg bow and shoot that.... have a real physical challenge should have a chance to enjoy the sport ..if a X-bow is what achieves that fine...The rest of us do'nt need them.
Now please tell me  what the draw to using a X-bow is ...if it is'nt ease of use and speed of arrow.....which for a healthy person...( in my mind..opinon...thought and NO Offence) equates to ...I'm too lazy to condition my muscles ...and hunt hard enough to pull back a (by the way reasonable draw weight) bow string... hold steady enough to get a deer into a good range for a clean kill...Other than that and/or It's a new "toy"...I just can't see the need....That being said ...
I also muzzle load....and in reg 8....Yes it can reach out farther than a shotgun and yes those same guys I despise use them..BUT... they can and.... I know it only takes 1....take One shot.... also our season is in the coldest weather..Mid Dec.....although you can use them during reg. season as well and I know many good hunters do ...they take more effort time and work to use and even "those" guys... actually think and aim before shooting...because they can't just pump in another shell or pull the trgger again while swing on a deer....so for me That ...is the diffance between muzzle and rifle/ shot gun.
Before I step off this soap box ...Let me discribe what the hunter safety courses in our area looked like
1) The gun one I took....mostly woman in attendance..."Raise your hand if your hunting or getting tags for your husband"...Dang if only 3 of us out of 20  raised our hands..illegal by the way

2)the course was'nt too bad..as far as gun safety...and 22 cal ricochet (?)....but when the test was taken...they never went over the answers ppl got wrong!...they just gave the correct answer and passed everyone...?...It's a sleep thru test as it is and ppl could'nt pass on their own?...It was the same way with the Bow course
 3) Why bother making ppl sit and take a 12 hour course if ...you have voluteers that see it as a way to just put bodys in the field and not " Hunters"?
4) When while taking a mandatory state test to be a hunter and your taught that short cuts are the answer to achieving the end results that you want...why would we expect to see descent hunters in the field?...

Well did'nt I just add another reason to be on ppls .."sheet" list Oh well

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 am

Well one edit and still missed spelling errors..[8|]..oopps

coach

Postby coach » Tue May 26, 2009 1:33 am

WOOO  !   I didn't know it was that bad.  Wow.

Then I'm sorry for sticking my nose into something I had no idea what was going on.

But let me assure you.....I crossbow hunt and bow hunt.  The only difference to me is not how lazy you are pulling the string......or being challenge....I bow hunt because it gives me a variety of choice of weapon.  A few of my treestand are ground blind near a swamp...there is no trees to hang a stand.
So I use my crossbow.  And when I hunt from some other stand, I mix them up....bow...xbow...bow...xbow.  Just like rifle hunting....sometimes I use my 30-06,,,,the next day...270.  Which ever I want.

So when we say xbow is a bunch of people that doesn't know their boundaries and tresspasses....breaking the law....Well yes....I do take that personally.  Because I'm one of them.  I'm just as a hunter as you and anybody else on this site.  My choice of weapon has no bearing on what kind of hunter xbow hunter is.

Like I said....I had no idea about your area.   Like the movie "Scarface"  ( I should of kept my big mouth shut)  This is only funny if you say with the accent. [;)]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to New York