FAQ's on the license increases

fasteddie

FAQ's on the license increases

Postby fasteddie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I was wrong about $10 for each doe permit application .........

Sporting License FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the New Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping License Fees
I understand that there are new fees for hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses. When do these new fees take effect?
Yes, the cost for many types of resident and non-resident licenses will be increased for the 2009-2010 license year that begins October 1, 2009. A list of license types and the new fees is available on the DEC website.

Why are the fees for hunting, fishing and trapping licenses being raised?
The license fees are being raised to generate more revenue for the Conservation Fund. For the past two years, there have been insufficient revenues generated from sporting license sales to cover the same level of fish and wildlife management and law enforcement that the Conservation Fund used to support.

Weren't hunting, fishing and trapping license fees raised a couple of years ago?
The last increase in sporting license fees occurred in 2002. It was projected that revenues raised by the sale of licenses at the 2002 fee level would keep the Conservation Fund solvent for five years (through 2007-2008).

Did any license fees remain the same or go down?
Yes. Fees for the licenses listed below remained the same:

Sporting License Fees that Remained the Same License Type Fee Note
Senior Fishing $5 Eligibility age increased from 65 to 70
Blind Fishing Free
Military Disabled hunting and fishing $5
Senior Bow Hunting Free age 70 and older
Senior Muzzleloading Free age 70 and older

Resident Junior Hunting $5
Resident Junior Bow Hunting $9
Non-resident Junior Hunting $5
Non-resident Junior Bow Hunting $9
Non-resident 1-day fishing $15

The fee for resident 1-Day fishing decreased from $15 to $5.

If I purchase my 2009-2010 license before October 1, 2009, do I have to pay the new fees?
Yes. The 2009-2010 hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses will go on sale August 17, 2009. The increased fees will be in effect for the 2009-2010 licenses. Fees for the 2008-2009 hunting, fishing and trapping licenses will remain the same through September 30, 2009.

When do the fees for the lifetime licenses increase?
On October 1, 2009, the lifetime license fees increase. Any lifetime license purchased prior to that date will be charged the current fee.

I understand there is a new super sportsman license?
Yes, there is a new resident trapper super sportsman license where the holder is entitled to the privileges of a fishing license, big game and small game hunting license, trapping license, muzzle-loading stamp, and turkey permit.

I heard that most holders of licenses that offer big game hunting privileges must pay an application fee for Deer Management Permits (DMPs). Who is exempt from Deer Management Permit (DMP) application fees?

Holders of lifetime sportsman licenses (purchased prior to October 1, 2009) are exempt from the DMP application fee, and holders of resident and non-resident junior bow hunting, and resident and non-resident junior hunting licenses are also exempt from the DMP application fee.

Holders of these license types will be required to pay the $10 DMP application fees: resident sportsman, resident supersportsman, resident big and small game, resident conservation legacy, resident trapper super sportsman, non-resident supersportsman, and non-resident big game.

I only want to apply for one DMP. What is the cost to apply?
$10 is the application fee if you apply for 1 or 2 DMPs.

Sometimes DMPs are offered on a first-come-first-served basis (fcfs). Are there any costs for these DMPs?
If you previously applied for one or more DMPs and paid the application fee, or hold one of the exempt licenses, then you do not need to pay for fcfs DMPs. If you did not previously pay a DMP application fee, then you will be charged the $10 application fee at the time you request fcfs DMPs.

Why did you increase the age for senior licenses from 65 to 70?
The age for senior licenses was increased to 70 years old because of the current demographics of our license buyers and the need to raise revenues into the Conservation Fund. Since many license buyers are part of the "baby boom" generation, we have quite a few license buyers that were born between 1944 and 1954, and we projected the reduced revenues at $1.5 M annually due to the reduced license prices for seniors.

I am 65 years old and purchased a senior sportsman license last year. Can I still purchase a senior sportsman license this year?
No. Unless you are at least 70 years old, you will not be able to purchase a senior sportsman (or senior fishing) license. However, if you are 65 years old (or will be by October 1, 2009), you may wish to purchase a lifetime senior sportsman (or lifetime senior fishing) license before October 1, 2009 when the eligibility age for senior licenses moves from 65 to 70.
Semper Fi !

JOEL

RE: FAQ's on the license increases

Postby JOEL » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:35 pm

ahh so its 10 for 2 thats 5 a deer still a good deal if ya ask me
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:51 pm

My question I wonder is...

When they ask if I would like to try for DMP's in the lottery for my area and I say yes, and I don't get one on either of the 2 tries, do I still have to pay $10 just for being put in the drawing? or only if I get a DMP?

I might call the DEC office here tomorrow since its 12:51 and I'm too lazy to look it up.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:24 am

Well then Fasteddie I may re-adjust what I'll buy ...but still don't agree with how they handle the doe tags....and nuicense permits....I got 4 tags last year ....it would have made it 2.50 each...that I'm OK with...[;)] like I said earlier I was OK with the SSL going up 20.00 until I thought they were charging 10.00 EACH for DMP...thanks for clearing that up

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:21 am

$10 divided by 52 weeks = 19.2 cents per week . Put away 20 cents a week and there is the payment for the DMP applications ! [8|]...[8|]...[:D]...[:D]...[:D]
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:40 am

I know...I know ...but there was a point in there...[;)]

DEC plans town hall meetings to discuss regulation changes....they will be in the same general areas as last year...and will be revisiting the Oct 1 bow opener....CB's...DMP's....will take place in Sept & Oct....Well now thats handy seeing the season starts then [8|]...seeing the point of frustations yet?[;)].........

Return to New York