Every year the New York Assembly has a day when they debate and vote ona package of anti gun legislation. This "gun bill" day alwayscoincides with the "Albany Lobby Day" of the New Yorkers AgainstGun Violence (NYAGV) which includes their dog and pony show of anti gunpropaganda in the lobby of the Legislative Office Building (LOB).Every year NYAGV gets a free ride on this day.
They bus in a handful ofactivist and basically get to puff up their collective chests and showhow much power they have. This year we would like to disrupt their freeride by having gun owners show up in Albany in large numbers and prettymuch overshadow them, take the day away from them.By large numbers I mean thousands, anything less will be ineffective andnot worth doing.
Gun bill day is April 29 and we are asking gun owners from all over thestate to make the commitment to come to Albany, spend the day visitinglegislators and filling the Assembly galleries before the anti gunnerscan, show the legislators that we do care about our rights.We are asking you to take the day off from work, car pool, rent a buswhatever it takes but be in Albany on April 29 to show you care aboutyour rights.Details are still being worked out but the legislative session that daywill most likely be in the afternoon at 1pm or 3pm, the exact time willbe nailed down later.
I would suggest that you plan to be at theCapitol no later than 11am and be prepared to stay until at least 4pm.If you are coming as a group or individually, make appointme nts withyour legislators or their staff. If you can't get an appointmentyou should still go to their office and let their staff know you arethere and your position on gun legislation.
Print a copy of the SCOPELegislative Report from our website to leave with your legislator.
Most importantly, once we nail down the time of the legislative session,we need to be at the Assembly chambers (legislative chambers are in theCapitol building which connects to the LOB) and fill the seats in thechamber, the lobby and the upper gallery.
Let those who debate the bills see that gun owners care and will take action.Some rules to abide by.
1. NO CAMO of any kind should be worn or overalls. Dress casual butnot down.
2. Wear your SCOPE, NRA, Club, NYSRPA, NYSCC or other grouphat, shirt or some other article that identifies you as a gun owner. Repeat NO CAMO anything.
3. NO confrontation with any of the antigunners of any kind.
4. If questioned by the press (it could happen)keep it short and to the point that you are a gun owner who cares aboutyour rights and you are there to show the legislature that you care.
5. You will have to go through security screening to get in the LOB, sono weapons of any kind, the less metal you have on you the easier itwill be to get through quickly.
6. No signs, I don't think theywill allow them but they would be a negative distraction anyhow.
7.Be courteous with any and all legislators even if they are rabidly antigun.
8. When in the Assembly chambers no outburst or demonstrationsare allowed. Regardless of how outrageous the debate may be do not makea scene.Many of the legislators think gun owners don't care because wedon't show up, this is our chance to show them otherwise.Having an idea in advance or our numbers would be helpful, so let usknow if you are coming by email or phone. If you have any questionsfeel free to contact me.
Please spread the word on this action to allyour contacts.
Sincerely,Ken Mathison, President