NY report..how are....

msbadger

NY report..how are....

Postby msbadger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:33 am

We doing out there?....Weather is going to warm up to summer temps this week...will it keep you in?

I have a young 4pt that is now following me around...I didn't hunt this am ...tired...and he showed up 30 yrds off the front porch..Mr B. talked to him a bit and tried to get pics but well low light and not a camera guy[;)]...this same buck gave me broad side ops...both in the morning and the afternoon...2 different spots...the doe with fawn he's hanging with is much smarter...she circles around me and goes down wind ...just...out of range...need to get at least one of these jumpy doe out of the way...but won't take a shot on a spooked doe...unless really close...at 20 yrds I fear her moving to make a bad hit....Been hearing the guttural grunts of a big buck but haven't seen him or any of the others I took pics of this summer....lots of single fawns around though

msbadger

RE: NY report..how are....

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 am

A beautiful morning...albeit a warm one...from day break till 9am I had 10 deer on three groups come in...all in range...one doe was lame on her lft hind leg but no outward sign of injury.....Before day break I heard a buck grunt but he never came in with the doe...must have singled one out...hhmm probably that little 4pt[>:]....and I decided to talk turkey and called in 16 turkey that dropped down in the middle of 5 deer...they were 28 yrds out ...I got them closer but they went in behind brush so no shots...What Fun...I got one hen so mad she was beside her self cackling and clucking at me ..even through in a couple of puts...but stayed in the grape vines the whole time a mere 13 yrds away[8|]....The weather is so warm I'm opting on no shots unless it's a good sized buck....in the mean time ...I'm just having a blast[;)][8D]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 am

Sounds like you are having some good hunts!!!![:)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 am

Reeper
It's been fun...This a.m. I went to the box blind and  had a stocky 1 1/2 old spike come in and walk around me ...he then turned and walked away...I decided to practice my calling and two hits ...he was 60 yrds out his head snapped up and he made a beeline back to me...at 30 yrds he stopped in some brush and did his best to a dog wood tree[:)]...then hung out a bit and I never saw him again...moments later I had a button buck come in and feed 3 yrds off the blind....The problem with this sight.....When I went in at 5:30am I bumped 5-7 deer that were feeding in there... ...Normally they'd still be in the field....hope that was a fluke.....The caterpillars ate the leaves off the trees this year and then it's rained 1-3 times every week since spring....The under story grew many.. huge...Elderberry bush and the deer just luv them...even more so than the bramble patches...and they hit those hard now as well...

Any who....How has the season progressing for you? Are you turkey hunting? bear?...I haven't hit camp for bear yet...need the winds to calm down....Doing any fall fishing? 

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Msbadger,

It really does seem like you are having a good season! I need to learn more about native browse and what deer eat and when, I know some but not nearly as much as you do. I enjoy reading your posts that mention it.

I have had a good season so far. It had been extremely slow here the last week but tonight I saw a doe and two fawns. I haven't been turkey hunting at all but I have seen some roosting by one of my deer stands. I usually just focus on deer come fall since as of last saturday it is rifle season in the northern zone. There are really no bear where I hunt but it would be cool to hunt them sometime! I know people who do and only one to get one so far. I know of people seeing bear not all that far away but I have never seen one.

Any plans to head to camp to hunt bear soon? Hope you connect on a deer soon, gotta love this warm weather[;)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks Reeper...been watching what they eat and when for many..many years....I went to the lower turnip/corn plot this afternoon and got trapped in the stand until 7pm[:o]...all told 10-12 deer all but 4 were fawn.....I played cat and mouse due to the wind for the fawn weren't too bad but those sly doe would startle run ..come back..ect for well over an hour...the wind just kept shifting on me and they came in on my good side but on a wind I was hoping they'd come in on the other...figures...lol....No trees on the other side of field big enough yet for a good set up[&o]..Well at dark I finally climbed down right on top of a doe who blew...but as I untied the bow I blew and stomped then turned and trotted through the brush...off my path trying to sound like a running deer....stopped...blew and stomped then ran some more...till I got to the road...neighbor driving by offered me a ride home....I washed my cell phone in my hunting clothes this afternoon...so had no way of letting Mr B know I was OK[&:]...Well that's one expensive Oooppps...lol

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Oh while I was doing this....Mr B. went to the hay barn...and spotted the spike or 4pt ...he wasn't sure and two doe in the upper turnip plot....a First...for that has been a no show stand...though I know they are in it ...the turnips have been hit hard and they have the rye part looking like a cattle yard...Getting a tad worried ...I haven't nor at least one neighbor... seen any of the bigger buck I filmed this summer...just these little guys with doe or on the prowl

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:23 am

Ms Badger,

I too am getting a bit worried. I had a lot of good bucks, five different 8 pointers, on the cams all summer and through early October. Come a week before bow season they are no where to be found. I am hoping that it is due to the warm weather we have been having and they are just staying on their bellies. Either that or I have a tresspassing problem with the locals. The new plot watcher camera should answer that question for me, I hope.

Joe
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Return to New York