Gun Laws are Off Target !

fasteddie

Gun Laws are Off Target !

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Last updated: 2:11 am
February 8, 2009
Posted: 1:54 am
February 8, 2009
IT DID not take long for the Democrats in Albany to go after the gun laws once they got control of the legislature.
The New York State Assembly has introduced four new gun-control measures. The bills include mandating bullet serialization, a ban on the sale, possession and use of .50-caliber firearms, an expansion of the ballistic imaging database, and prohibiting gun shows on public property.
Legislation that would mandate bullet serialization - the process by which each individual round of ammunition is identified and marked with a laser-engraved serial number comes under Assembly Bill 3200.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has made clear that serializing ammunition on a mass-production basis is not feasible from a practical standpoint, and contends any legislation mandating such action rightfully could be considered more or less a ban on ammunition.
Legislation that would ban the sale, use or possession of .50-caliber firearms is under Assembly Bill 3211. The .50-caliber sporting rifles are used for long-range target shooting and collecting. Banning these firearms will only hurt shooting enthusiasts, collectors and independent firearms retailers while doing nothing to curb crime or protect residents. These firearms are too big to easily carry and cost thousands of dollars to purchase - making them unlikely weapons for criminals.
Assembly Bill 2882 is the legislation that would expand the applications for the New York ballistic imaging database.
According to NSSF, the failure of the database system to solve any crime in its nearly eight years of existence has been well-documented.
New York is one of two states that has wasted millions of taxpayer dollars on a ballistics database. Requiring that all guns that come into contact with law enforcement be tested and submitted into the failed system would just waste more resources on this expensive and unnecessary program.
Assembly Bill 2884 is legislation that would prohibited the sale of guns at gun shows located on public property. According to a November 2001 study by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, less than one percent (0.7) of criminals acquire their guns from gun shows. Restricting gun shows in the name of fighting crime is a solution in search of a problem.
ken.moran@nypost.com
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

RE: Gun Laws are Off Target !

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:49 pm

The first thing I thought of when I heard about serializing ammunition was how is that possible on such a large scale? It would cost an extremely large amount of money. I hate when people have these "ideas" when they are not practical in the real world.

And for banning the .50 cal? b/c we all know the majority of crimes committed are with this gun[sm=rolleyes.gif]

The laws are getting ridiculous. I can't explain how much of a pain the pistol permit process was. After spending all that money, all the time filling out paper work, running around, finger prints, photo ID, phone interview, background check, and a million other things in the whole process. It was suppose to take 6 months max and it ended up taking me over 7 because a sheriff said and I quote, "the judge is very anal and wants these set up in a certain way." And after all that, they put a restriction on it! If it has "restrictions" then why is it still a carry concealed? My "restrictions" are "outdoor sports" Does this mean I can bring it to a soccer game? I only wanted it to target shoot and to bring in the woods for hunting but it just bugs me that after all the chaos of doing this they still put restrictions on it. I am good friends with the Detective Sergeant at the local Sheriff's office and he told me the judge here has yet to unrestrict someone licence.

After reading your post Fasteddie I am glad that there are organizations telling them that their ideas don't work and are not practical.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:15 pm

I was at the Gun Shop in Avon today . The guy in there said they also want to force shop owners into having a $1,000,000 insurance policy and no Insurance Company will do that . He said a lot of small shops will be put out of business by all this crap ! [:@]
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 am

Its sad when you think about it. I would be lost without my local gun shop.

Also in my above post it was a joke about soccer games being included in outdoor sports, just wanted to clear that up.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:59 am

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

Its sad when you think about it. I would be lost without my local gun shop.
Also in my above post it was a joke about soccer games being included in outdoor sports, just wanted to clear that up.

I wish I could find the article about a Soccer Mom who had Consealed Carry and took her pistol to a game . Somehow her permit was revoked by a judge because of the incident .
Reeper , I know you were joking but this actually happened .

oops ! Here is the article ..........It was in Lebanon , Pa

http://weirdnewsfiles.com/weirdnews/soccer-mom-carries-pistol-at-childs-games/
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:41 pm

I was hoping you found the link because I was very interesting in reading this article and what had happened. Thanks for the post!

I am glad she got her licence back and its good to hear her voice her Second Amendment right. If worst came to worst she could say she fires it to let the game begin[:D]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:52 pm

Im so sick of this state im moving across the border to PA where i wont have to deal with this bull anymore and the taxes ,politics.....etc etc
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Return to New York