IS IT LEGAL ..........

fasteddie

IS IT LEGAL ..........

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Is it legal to leave a stand up on State Public Hunting Land in New York State ? If it is illegal , is it in writing somewhere ?

JOEL

RE: IS IT LEGAL ..........

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm

the way i understand it "no permanent stand shall be erected"does this mean a hang on stand ,ladder stand,one season ,2 yrs.Me i hunt the same spots year in year out but always pull my gear end of season.new year ,new stand ,aint permanent.some idiots build PT stands or leave huge 2 man stands over the years.creates another question 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Michael Denehy

Postby Michael Denehy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:25 am

Even it were legal, which I do not think it is, I would not do that.  You never know when someone with bolt cutters will come along and decides to take a five finger discount on your multi hundred dollar permanent stand.  Also, a permanent tree stand basically conveys an assumption of exclusive usership of the land that stand looks over.  While you are not really claiming ownership of the land you are preventing others from using that tree and the land that tree overlooks.  I use permanent stands on the land I personally own and I use a climber on public land.  It just avoids conflict and theft.  The bottom line is that you do not own the land you put a permanent stand on but, at the same time, you are implying to others that they cannot use the land/ tree you stand is on.  This is not fair to others who get into the woods earlier to you and it opens you up to theft of you personal property.
Michael Denehy

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:32 am

nysboss

Postby nysboss » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 am

The way I've always understood the ruling on this is, you can't build a stand on state property. They can't prosecute you for putting up a ladder stand. A ladder stand is portable, so they can't say it is permanent. However, all risk is left up to the owner of the stand. I have had stands stolen before, so I tend not to leave them up. 

Return to New York