My lifetime dream buck

kennelboy

My lifetime dream buck

Postby kennelboy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 am

Well, I am new here and just wanted to say hi to one and all.
I have been hunting whitetail now for over 20 years both with Bow and Gun.
I want to share some pics of the 8 pt I got on the last day of the NY firearm season 12/7, zone 7M Chenango County.
I harvested this buck @ 2:30 pm on Sunday. He cam walking down the hill and turned @ 65 yards broadside and I took my shot righ behind the front sholder. He went 75 yards before going down.
This is my dream deer, my lifetime pursuit, biggest deer I have ever taken.
just wondering, not that it matters, how this deer would score?
I know nothing about the scoring part of it, but curious just the same.
Thanks for sharing in my experience. I am still smiling over this one.

beagleman23

RE: My lifetime dream buck

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Congrats, very nice New York buck.  Shotgun or rifle?  I don't know much about zone 7.  Very tough to score by a picture but I'll stick my neck out and say in the 120's.  Easy to rough score yourself though.  Measure each beam from the inside of the antler from the base to tip, measure each point from a hortizontal line upward from the top of each beam, measure the circumference of the beam at the narrowest spot between each point starting between the base and the G-1's and finally the inside width at the narrowest point about mid-way along the beam.  Each measurement is to the nearest 1/8", add together and you'll have a rough estimate of your gross score.  The net is found by subtracting the difference in measurement from side to side.  You should be able to find better instructions with pictures on line. 

kennelboy

Postby kennelboy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:25 pm

rifle beagle, not that i wish i didnt take him with bow, I am tickled with this one, I just dropped him off at the taxidermised tonight, like i said, this is my biggest ever.

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Congratulations on a nice deer! As for score I'd say low to mid 120's. Oh yeah, welcome aboard! This is a great forum, lots of knowlage flowing through these threads!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:49 pm

congrats on the buck! i still have my tags in my jacket, i had a shot and missed, shot over his back. the only shot i got at a buck. i shot some does, so it was a great season.

i go to the boone and crocket club website. they have an online form you fill out and it does the calculations for you, all you gotta do is measure it up. it tells you how to do the measuring on there too. i would also guess 120's for a score. its hard to tell in a picture, but i would guess thats the range. great deer, i would be excited about that too.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Well done!  I was also going to put an educated guess of 125.

...welcome to the forum!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Kennelboy,
  Nice buck. What town did you get him in. I'm south of you.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 pm

PS: it took me 35 years to get one like that. One to hang on the wall. Took it in Tioga county.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

kennelboy

Postby kennelboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:24 am

Stormshooter
Private land in the town of Oxford, in Chenango County.
I have been hunting over 25 years and this is my dream, what I have been longing for all these years.
I dropped him off at the taxidermist on Tuesday so now the long wait to get him back. Guess that is why I have pictures.  

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:16 am

Paitence my son, you'll have your trophy hanging on the wall for a long time to come. [:)] I waited 6 months for mine. Should have been a years wait but the guy wanted/needed money to go bear hunting up in Canada. There is that possibility you'll eb gettingab call sooner, who knows.
  Meanwhile, you'll be repeating the story many times on how you got him.
  There's so fine country up there, just knowing the right person and the right place. We who hunt long and hard deserve the reward of a great buck like that.
  The one that I got a few years ago, was never seen on that hill before. Yet has been seen 5 miles away. Guess chasing that tail, they wander.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Next

Return to New York