any late season bowhunting advice?

lifeatfulldraw14870

any late season bowhunting advice?

Postby lifeatfulldraw14870 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:20 pm

[/align]
[blockquote]hey i live in the southern zone of new york outside of corning, don't know if anyone is familiar with the area or not but i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on late season bowhunting I have access to a piece of land roughly 60 acres with two standing corn fields on it, late season starts the 8th of Dec. not sure if the cornfields will be picked by then or not. right now i plan to set up at a natural funnel where it looks to me like the deer are forced to cross the creek that is in between the two fields, or i may set up on a trail that connects the two fields that looks like it is commonly used, feel free to to give any advice you have, good luck and stay safe. [/blockquote]

fasteddie

RE: any late season bowhunting advice?

Postby fasteddie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan already . Stay warm ! [;)]
Semper Fi !

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Like Fasteddie said, it sounds like you've got the right idea! I think food is the best strategy for late season, at least in the north. And corn seems to be a pretty hot food item once the cold weather hits (gotta pack in those carbs)! Good luck to ya, let us know how ya do!!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 pm

food food food, sounds like u got the right plan, or if that fails being near bedding areas will be good too because some does will be late into estrous and those bucks will still be wanting to breed them! Good luck! Ours starts later in Dec. i still have muzzleloading to look forward to as well starting this weekend!

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:45 am

Sounds like a better spot than most of mine! Go get em!
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 am

Can't agree more.  Food is going to be #1 priority after the rut.  Does not bred in the 1st cycle will come into 'season' again 28 days later which may catch the end of New Yorks' muzzleloader season.  But I would still key in on the food.  The only additional suggestion would be the use of a trail camera to make sure this is the food source being utilized especially if it's uncut and if it is, a secondary set up for the wrong wind etc.
I resisted trail cameras until I saw the pictures my son was getting.  I'll have at least one for next season.  Good luck.

the wolf den

Postby the wolf den » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:12 pm

It sound like you have a good plan. Patience is key. Any big buck in the area will want to restore all that fat he lost during the rut and standing corn should be ideal.

lifeatfulldraw14870

Postby lifeatfulldraw14870 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 am

[/align]thanks for all the help guys, the fields are still standing and late season starts monday so it looks like they won't be cutting the field, i am probably going down in there tomorow to hang the stands, a buddy of mine can't hunt that week because his parents are going out of town so he volunteered to film for me, so hopefully i will be posting some footage for all of ya to see, i hope i can seal the deal that week, i dont have a bunch of time because i can only hunt after school. from about 3 o clock to dark but you never know, it can happen in the blink of an eye. best of luck to all of you.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:15 am

good luck and dont forget to wear your harness and be safe.in the hurry to beat the buzzer some people take shortcuts.Good Luck to you and your buddy
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

lifeatfulldraw14870

Postby lifeatfulldraw14870 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:56 pm

[/align]thanks joel, i never get into my stand without a harness, way too much can go wrong, i would hate to not be able to enjoy the whitetail woods because of something stupid like not wearing a harness, we got the stands hung today and it looks like an even better spot from 16' up in the tree there is a trail coming out of the standing corn right under my stand and i found alot of droppings all within bow range of the stand, i think it will be a productive week, best of luck to you all, and stay safe.

Next

Return to New York