Second rut behavior

Squirrelhawker

Second rut behavior

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:19 am

Hunted yesterday on a big farm that is closed to all except a chosen few.
Two of us saw 22 deer by the end of the day. I missed a nice doe (jerked the #$%^$ trigger again) And tried to fish a slug through some goldenrod to a nice 8pt, but it wasn't meant to be I guess. I did manage to run a nice doe out to my buddy who had yet to fill a tag, so I was tickled by the end of the day.

During one of our little sneaks, we came up on a buck in some thick stuff and just as he busted out ahead of us I heard one loud doe bleat and some crashin around. I sent my buddy down to the end and snuck in for a look. I cut multiple doe tracks and out they came at mach one and no shootin for my friend. We decided that in 10 minutes we had busted out a buck and at least three doe, and with a good chance one of them still in need of breeding. We decided that chances of at least some of them wanting right back in there were high,so rather than going out for lunch we opted for a handfull of trail mix and a cup of coffee. All these deer were now dead upwind of us. We split up, sat down and literally 15 minutes later my friend shot a nice doe trying to sneak by him.

The buck did come back but in the dark, and right in front of us.

I ended the day with 40 turkeys landing 10 feet in front of me before going to roost. It was my birthday yesterday and although getting another deer would have been cool, I really couldn't have cared less.

vipermann7

RE: Second rut behavior

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:06 am

It's always a good day when you get to see a lot of activity. I always feel much better when I at least see some animals, even if I don't get a shot off.

I had 4 does come cruising past me last night, just bleating there heads off. They sounded just like that heat bleat you can buy. Its marketed by the Drury boys, I think Madd calls makes it. anyway, it sounded just like that call, so I think those does were in heat as well. And according to the moon and when the first breeding phase should have been, this is the week they should be in the second rut, sounds like game on.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:05 pm

I hope the assumption is right cause I will be out there every day til the season is over this Tues.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Did get out last nite, popped a doe at 90 yards w/ the ML. Didn't see any bucks. They were more concerned about eating.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Return to New York