Snow.......

Treestand Sniper

Snow.......

Postby Treestand Sniper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:04 am

I dont know about you guys.....But every year for the past ten I have been wishing for snow during gun season.

Well let me tell ya what......  We have a foot and a half of snow in the woods of Allegany County.  I guess you need to be careful what you wish for.  The hunting is terrible and I am completely "weathered" by the time the sun goes down.

So,  I will trade my 20 degrees for a high of 50.  And I will trade the snow for a light rain.

Gafrage

RE: Snow.......

Postby Gafrage » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:23 am

I wouldn't trade 20's for 50's, or snow for light rain.  Too many bonuses go along with colder temps and snow instead of warmer temps and rain.  Easier tracking with the snow, you also can see fresh tracks and it most likely will help you put venison in the freezer, keep in mind you can see the deer a heck of a lot better against a white backdrop as opposed to a brownish background. 

In regards to the warmer temps, the warmer the temps, the sooner you have to deal with your harvest.  20's are nice to be able to let it hang for a day or two and allow you some time to get it done if you're cramped for time.  Plus hunting appears to be more comfortable for me when the temps are cooler than warmer.  Just my two cents.

MeatHunter#737

Postby MeatHunter#737 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:56 am

My 2 cents: I agree with Gafrage...I invested in very warm hunting clothes so I could hunt comfortably through the late muzzelloading season, I love 20 degree weather!! plus I like to be able to get on a fresh set of tracks and follow them, carefully looking ahead to bedded deer.
Venison is the sustinance of Life.........

Treestand Sniper

Postby Treestand Sniper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:15 am

Gents,
Dont get me wrong.... I love the cold.  You can dress up and stay warm.  But when you are hot, you can only take so much off and you are risking getting arrested.

High of 50.... meaning that the mornings and evenings are cooler.
Light rain- NOT STEADY.  to quiet the walk and allow for some stealth still hunting.

But most importantly..... I want snow.  I really do.  But not 12+ inches in a day.  2 inches is good.  Break up the brown. Let the deer stand out and check the tracks to see what is where and when.
But we got hammered.  I couldnt see 50 yrds in front of me.  Couldnt keep my eyes open.[;)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:38 am

TSS...Our camp is in Alfred and the guys say they got alot of snow ...but give me cold and snow any day...yep walking thoughs steep hills in a foot of snow is a heart attack if your not in shape...but here at home is just as hilly and I walk daily...so slow and stead is the rule....prefer seeing the deer in advance than where'd you come from? no time to shoot moments..yesterday I watched the deer for 15 min. and knew exactly where theyed be coming in so just aimed and waited....no tracking with shots like that... 

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 am

I wasn't bashing you, I understand what you were saying.  I was just saying that from my experiences.  I hunted in rain opening weekend, I think it was last year.  It was a light rain, but rain nonetheless.  Horrible, absolutely horrible.  I was thinking of leaving the woods because my clothes, hat and gloves were damp, and if I was thinking that that means that over 75% of the rest of the hunters were already out of the woods.  Which made deer movement even worse.  My last year hunting in Marinette County in WI about 4 years ago we got rained on Sunday.  Once again, very miserable conditions.  One thing I will point out though.  I do rely on other hunters being out in the woods, and kicking the deer around a little bit.  You might not be in the same case, so maybe I appear a little bias. 

As far as the still hunting, you can still hunt in snow just fine, as a matter of fact, I was still hunting last year during the muzzleloader season.  We had just received a bunch of ice over the snow, which made things worse than ideal conditions.  I did get a shot at a nice buck though.  I saw him before he saw me, plus I was downwind of him which made it nice too.  Unfortunately, I missed the shot.

Treestand Sniper

Postby Treestand Sniper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 am

Oh, Msbadger,
I feel for ya.  Jericho Hill is known to have its own weather pattern.
Big deer in them 'there parts though.

All Im saying is "sometimes too much snow is....TOO MUCH snow."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:01 pm

I hate the snow . Cold , I can deal with but I hate the snow . We have about 3" on the ground with another 5" of the white stuff forecasted overnight .

Semper Fi !

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Give me 20 degrees and snow.[:)]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:32 am

I'll take the snow too. 1-6" is enough of the white stuff.
Venison - the other red meat

Next

Return to New York