Snow.......

69Viking

RE: Snow.......

Postby 69Viking » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:39 am

Ok guys, I hunt SW Alabama, can you send some snow down our way this deer season!  2-3 inches would be perfect.  Make sure it stays in 20's after the snow too to keep it from melting too fast! 

I grew up in MN and it's sure a different world hunting down here in the south.  Last year opening day I was getting chased out of shooting houses by wasps, it was in the mid 70's.  I'll take the colder weather anyday for hunting, keeps the wasps and all the other annoying bugs away!

Treestand Sniper

Postby Treestand Sniper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:18 am

If anyone has contact with Mrs. Nature. I think they call her "mother", could you pass along a message and let her know that we have ENOUGH snow in Allegany County.
You cannot see in the woods.  The snow is covering all the brush and it makes still hunting impossible.  The deer are not moving until dark. 
Cold.....I dont mind.  Snow....... we need a thaw.  It is funny.  I watch the news out of Buffalo and the grass is brown and the roads are bare up there....... And we have all the snow.  Just venting.... thanks

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:55 pm

We had two prefect inches last year in Allegany County.  This year pouring rain opening day--all day.  We had to pull out Sunday because my sons' fuel pump went on the way down to camp and I had to turn around to get him.  We did go through that snow storm with a tow dolly though.  Chautuaqua got over 24" at my buddies camp outside of Mayville.  Hunted on perfect snow around home (Alden) the rest of the week and killed some deer.  Thinking about going back down for muzzlerloader--any snow left down there.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:19 pm

We still have 2-3"s of the white stuff on the hills in Tioga County. Makes it nice cause you can see the critters. Last night in 2 1/2 hours I saw 8 of them things. Hopefully the incoming rain/sleet will have them moving again this afternoon.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

nysboss

Postby nysboss » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:25 am

You want to talk about snow..... I was hunting In the nothern tier during gun season a few weeks ago. Constableville to be exact. The night of the storm, before the weather started, I saw good deer movement. A little spike came in and decided to tell one of the sapplings who was boss. I saw a few more deer after he came and left. As I left my tree stand, a good gust of wind came and all of a sudden all hell broke loose. I had to use my gps to guide me to my truck! It was a little hairy getting out, and thank god I had that thing. Anyway, I made it back to camp for dinner and a few drinks before bed. I checked outside before heading to bed and the snow had tapered off a bit. I had high hopes for a good morning and was dreaming of a big buck. I woke up around 530 and preformed the usual rituals before the hunt. I was all ready to go and as I stepped out the door, I felt my whole leg get swallowed up by snow. Talk about disheartening. I was absolutley bumbed, not just about the snow being to deep to enjoy hunting, but about the possability being snowed in. We recieved 2ft of snow overnight. We made it out of camp, barley. I had a great time other than the snow. However, hunting over snow, but only when there is a few inches to a foot. Happy hunting. -Kevin

Previous

Return to New York