Hunting Camp Ideas

Treestand Sniper

Hunting Camp Ideas

Postby Treestand Sniper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:38 am

I am thinking about building a hunting camp on my land in Allegany County.  It will serve two purposes.  First it will allow me and my boys to get outta the house during hunting season.  Provide some bonding and start a tradition.  Second it will give the entire family a place to go during the summer and RELAX.

I want to know if you have any ideas as to alternate energy.  What do you use for septic??  H2O ??  Do you have imaginitive ideas for things that are imortant to a camp ??  ie.  sleeping quarters, cooking facilities, lighting???

Any ideas would help.... I am trying to get it planned right and done right the first time and try not to miss anything in the planning.

The area is VERY VERY rural and I do not want to fork over the dough to have electric run to it.  I remember going to friends family camp as a teenager in the freaking middle of nowhere.....  His uncle ran the place on Subwaycar Batteries........ I believe they charged with a windmill.  Does anyone have the info or technology for such an endeavor??

So far I know i need a hammock....lol.  But I am trying to think of ideas that will make my wife alittle more comfortable.

thanks,
M-

NYSupersportsman

RE: Hunting Camp Ideas

Postby NYSupersportsman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 am

I would look into solar power. I went to technology teachers convention a month ago and there was a guy that have a presentation about how he had his house entirely off the grid. He said a small camp or cabin would be easy to hook up solar power for electric. Unfortunately I am not an expert on this at all but I know you could find somone who is. Good luck!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:32 pm

we used propane for lights,stove and later a fridge.id look into solar power and wind.we had a well and a spring for water.for electricity we used a generator that ran on gas.Bunk beds allow ya to sleep more people than regular beds.remember people will try to break in and the mice will find  a way into it as well.mold and mildew can become problems as well
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:11 am

See my post in general discussion[:)]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06 am

I bought a camp in Allegany County NY in 2006.  Already had electric.  Has spring water on my property at top of hill that's currently not hooked up.  I cannot win the battle with the mice even though there is no food left inside.  If your wife is like mine, your not going to make her comfortable without spending some $$.  I would suggest putting it on a concrete slab if you can afford it.  I put on a 10X23' addition and could only get down 22-28"s before hitting heavy shale and rock.  I have a loft which gets very hot but the little down stairs bedrooms get no heat during our cold weather stays.  I heat with propane by a large standing room heater.  Hauling water gets old quick.  An air tight wood stove on a concrete slab heats my friends camp in West Clarksville perfectly especially once the slab heats up but he also has over 100 acres and likes cutting trees and hauling wood.  I have 10.5 acres and no time plus no wood burner at home.  I would suggest wiring your camp as you build and using a generator for power until you can make changes down the road.  I don't know how far off the road you are but opening the door and flicking the main breaker is a joy to me.  I'm a hunter and when I go down there I do not want to work(hauling, chopping, fixing etc.) just relax and hunt.  Don't skimp on the restroom either whether it's inside or out.  Nothing worst for a women.  I have a holding tank but like I said my water is not currently hooked up but the county will no longer allow holding tanks, it has to be a full septic.  Ther's a lot of info on the web and one of your responses is from an Adirondack hunter who has some good suggestions under general topics.  Good luck.

Return to New York