Opening Day!!

NYSupersportsman

Opening Day!!

Postby NYSupersportsman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:55 am

Well tomorrow is the day! The sea of orange! Unfortuantely I will not be able to make it home to hunt until the week of thanksgiving. I have work and school until then. Coming out of the best bow season I have ever had ( a doe and my biggest buck to date) I dont feel that bad, but I will still miss sitting in my treestand in my orange, with my mossberg, waiting for daylight and that first shot off in the distance! Good luck to all! Be safe and shoot straight!

stormshooter4

RE: Opening Day!!

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:00 am

Counting down the hours. 1 in the freezer, 4 more to go. I plan on being in my stand a 1/2 before it even starts to get light, then when the group comes in on the lower piece, the critters will be headed uphill. Providing they think like I do.
  'posed to rain tomorrow, oh well. Put on the rainsuit and the orange vest over it. If it gets too windy like they are saying, down to the lowlands.

Make sure of your target and what's behind it. Think saftey!
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:09 am

That first shot going off in the morning always gives me goosebumbs. lol Used to be years back, that first shot was me but now I have to hunt in a different area. good luck to all and hunt safe!
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:12 pm

Good luck to every one and be safe!
I can't say I was truely skunked in bow season ...I took a mercy kill on a spike...he must have ran into a car for he had a mass that went from under his chin to the size of a basket ball and a half at his brisket...was going to pass until he got 5yrds out and I caught the smell eeeewwwwhhh! So I took out the artery under his spine one lung and his heart..... 3 sec. and 15yds and no more pain....had a bkl road tar looking stuff leaking from his back end...so liver was pretty well shot from infection.....I also past on 3 spike and several sm. doe
 No passing doe tomorrow though [;)]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:34 pm

have fun and be safe i have to attend my god daughters 1st birthday party.I will be out there sunday though looking for that bear i saw today
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:58 am

It poured on us all day. Few deer moving and then my scope fogged and I missed the only shot I had.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:34 am

I ordered an 8.8 cu ft freezer from Sears . I hope it comes in the next couple of days so I can pick it up . I ran out of room in our freezer with two deer , a couple turkeys and misc stuff . I want at least another deer before I start donating .
I have permission to hunt a property nearby and the kid that is inheriting the property is expecting some meat . I have a couple stands there and went there a couple days but no deer ...........
Semper Fi !

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 am

Fasteddie,
  Don't we think alike.
  I had to run over to the local appliance store last Sunday and pick up another reefer. I have an upright freezer in the garage but needed another reefer in the garage to store the 1/4s in til I can get time to take care of them. Now there is 2 deer in there which you know what I'll be doing for the next few nights.
  I haven't had one for a couple of years and it sure is nice not trying to cram the meat into the one in the house. The lil misses sure appreciates it!
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:29 am

Sears has their Kenmore 8.8 cu ft chest freezer on sale . It was $350 marked down to $300 with another 10% off dropping it to $270 . They had a big run on them this week . Our freezer in the basement is loaded !
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Well I went to camp and took out the new 243 to the new stand I built and shot a 6pt. buck ...one shot went through the top of both shoulders ...he ran 60yrds and piled up......1 doe ...1buck ..so far...still have alot of doe tags to fill and a buck tag for muzzle season

Next

Return to New York