Your day afield

msbadger

Your day afield

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:50 pm

Well opening day and I was upa at 4:15am getting ready....left the house at 5:30 to a NE whisper of air under a highnoon type moon and a hard frost on ground....crunching past goats I hear a muffled destress call and find the little billy stuck in fence...wow the other goats heard my approach and charged the fence in force
 Got to ridge stand and settled in to the sound of the fire alarm going off...forever...bad day to have a problem ...with a country volunteer(?) fire dept.[8|]...then the coughing and throat tickle started....and there was no stopping it [:@]....finally just as it started getting light it stopped and I could hear deer walking away behind me and saw the form of a yote run past and some small critter feeding near......
 about 7:30 the familar sound of foot steps in the fall leaves came in behind me...not the usual route in the morning....I set up in this stand for the wind but the deer had other plans...yearling doe and a sm.fawn and a nice size doe with a sm. fawn.....milled around and the smallest fawn started walking up to go past me and stopped ...then the 4-wheeler sounded off and the ppl up the hill from me was running their trail to spook deer away from a stand their neighbor(who nealy shot her out of her stand)...facing not his land but 5ft off her line facing her laneway....I can't blame her...any how the feet were stomping the deer where swirling and settled down enough to walk away in the opposite direction...Well I was back in at ten to find big (Killer) billy in the road...[8|] 1hour later and several romps around the hay wagon I got to the gate unlatched it and he went in
Made great venision veggy soup and was back out and in oak plot by 1:00pm...on the way I ran into the 2 button bucks in the food plot they startled but didn't run far...read a book ...watched squirrels and listened to all the damn week end noise!!!!4 wheelers everywhere chain saws...the god awful dog barking leaf blowers ppl honking and my nearest neighbor is a 1/2 mile in both directions and a mile front to back....think I'll head to camp for a few days until things settle down....so thats day one...I froze and fell asleep 3 times and still had a great time...saw deer [;)]

stormshooter4

RE: Your day afield

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Ms badger,
  That's why it's called deer hunting. Your 'posed to have all those challenges and nusisances while hunting. Now to put them in your favor.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks stormshooter ...thats understood ...as I said I had a great time ...though this a.m I decided to to turn off alarm and sleep in...no sence in coughing up another stand....so because it's still early and the weekend has brought out every one and their brother...I'm heading out to do my trails one last time with the mower...suppose to get a light snow tues. or Wed.....then take care of this cold and watch the Bills...may hit the ground blinds late...have agood day all...Badger

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:55 am

Weekend was good....Hunted on Friday, last day of early ML....On Saturday saw doe and this years fawn....Still lots of leaves on underbrush...Sunday only hunted in AM...fished for a while then helped NON hunter get his dock and boat out of water...I was very suprised at the lack of hunters along the road...my brother said no more than 7 or 8 cars went by his place and there were very few shots...the deer are there, they aren't moving much....I am sure cooler weather will help...Doug

Eslerman

Postby Eslerman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:11 am

First, I have to say damn that was some good weather.  Cold mornings and evenings and low winds.  I couldn't have been happer with the conditions.  Opening morning I was hunting 5 acres I'd never hunted before in hopes of taking a doe for the freezer.  Once I was back there, I couldn't believe the noise of the frosty leaves falling off the trees.  It was seriously raining leaves all morning so i knew it was going to be tough to here anything coming in over the racket. 
It was a beautiful morning and I was freezing thinking that I wasn't going to see any deer but right at 8:30 I looked to my right and a spike was walking right to my stand only 15 yards away.  I was startled and nervous at first, but then I kind of chuckled thinking that I'd just relax and watch him walk around.  Just then I saw another deer behind him and this one had a rack.  I immediately started to shake and figure out what my next move was going to be.  Right when I was thinking about drawing the spike got wind of me and jumped back and started glassing the area looking for the source of the smell.  He never saw me, but it made be really nervous to draw back.  After a couple minutes of high tension I finally drew my bow back on the what I think was a 2 1/2 year old 8 or 9 point at 20 yards quartering away.  I set my sight and pulled the trigger.  They both ran off and after waching the big one walk off about 80 yards I started questioning my shot.  I got out of my stand to find a clean arrow in the dirt.  I couldn't believe it, I didn't know what went wrong!  I told all my buddies he must have ducked the shot, but in reality i didn't know how I missed.
After heading back and taking contant harrasment and insults from my friends, I took some shots with my bow and found out it was shooting low and to the right.  The crazy thing is that I was shooting great groups from 30 yards just last month, so what happened between now and then cost me a nice buck.  Oh well, I'm taking it as a blessing as I still have my buck tag to use during the rut. 
On another note, all my friends also saw deer this weekend, but none took any shots.  Overall, I think it was a good weekend for movement, but no one saw any signs of chasing, just a bunch of scrapes and young restless bucks walking from property to property.  I'm really looking forward to some good stories from you guys this season.
Es Man

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 am

Yes, the weather was great. To good actually. It was hard not dozing off in the stand. Yes, I have my harness on. Got back out yesterday and with the sun keeping it warm, had to start peeling, only to put stuff back on later.
  Nuttin but squirrels again. The only deer I saw was across the road while loading my 4 wheeler. I shoulda been on that side! Oh well. Perhaps it's time to go molest some turkeys til the action heats up.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 am

Ms Badger,
  If that doesn't take me back to the old days years ago when we did deer drives to get those critters during gun season. That was before I bow hunted. The week before gun season I'd come down with a cold. I'd get better just as the season opened and would get out there. The only problem was someone would always knock one down that needed to be pulled up hill. That was before 4 wheelers. And after  a cold, the ol lung capacity wasn't like it used to be. So in a matter of feet, I'd be gasping and would have to let others take over. Those were the good ol days! Did alot of walking and not much sitting. I'd be on every drive til the end and then say it was my turn to sit.
 Perhaps it was a good thing you didn't go out.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 pm

well i only got to get out saturday but it was a good/bad day hunting.I got to my spot and sat till 900 am not seeing any deer but a red tail hawk flew down and landed on a dying tree 20yrds away that was neat.i was starting to get cold and cramped up so i figur i'll still hunt the powerline,i know the does bed in ther.I make my down to the powerline when i see movement 50yrds out.i try to get closer.i see its a nice doe but its still too far.i inch closer but everythig is dry and cruncy the deer knew something was up but didnt run .i was using the oaks to block her view .i got to what i thought was 30 yrds and draw back.perfect broadside shot.i hit the release.thwack,bang crash.my arrow goes smashing off some unseen tree limb.the bolts about 10 yrds and stops.i do my best deer mouth calling and she gets curious and starts coming back.again presenting me with a shot .again the arrow connects with some unseen limb and goes well under the deer .this time she didnt stick around.i found the first arrow.the magnus broadhead was smashed off at the base,never did that befor it also poped off the nock .i searched for a good hour for he other arrow,no luck.I went to the car to eat lunch.after lunch .i put on a foor pad nd some golden estrus scent and walked to my spot then made scent trails all over the place all winding past my shooting lanes.At about 530 i notice movement to my right a nice doe coming in on my scent trail she stops at 15 yrds broadside to sniff the scent i poured on the ground.thwack,beautiful pasthru,double lunger.she runs 10 yrds stops looks around and then does the death dash.i had little time left to find her so i got on the blood trail quick.I found the arrow and then her.the drag out killed my back so i slept in on sunday.not feeling to good today i  think im coming down with a cold.sorry no pics of the doe,i was too tired and we all know what a doe looks like anyway[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:30 pm

I hunted in Geneseo this am and Groveland this afternoon . At Geneseo , I saw 6 doe . Three in two separate fields . All of them were well over 100 yards away . I saw all 6 deer between 7:20 and 7:45 am . Nothing after that . I left there around 11:30 .
Went up to Groveland and visited my mother . Around 3 pm I went to my stand on the back of her property . At about 3:15 a doe and her fawns came across a field and entered the wooded area about 35 yards away . I hadn't expected them to be where they were and have to do some trimming in order to shoot there . I might have had a 25 yard shot if I had done a better job with the shooting lanes . Those buggers hung out back there for at least an hour . They just milled around and layed down for about 20 minutes . I heard one of them blow and they took off . A cat slowly walked through the woods . A couple minutes later , the three were back . About an hour later I saw all three walk across the back of my mother's property into the adjacent woods .
I guess I can't complain about not seeing deer ! [8|].....[8|]

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:15 pm

I hunted a new spot on Saturday and Sunday and I didn't see one deer - not ONE deer. I decided yesterday to go to a different spot that has been very consistant for me in Pound Ridge. Got in the stand by 6am. About 7:30 a bunch of fawns came under the stand. They walked right under my stand - even sniffed the ladder. I held tight and about 10 minutes later another group of doe walked in. This time there was a shooter in the group. I waited until she got right in front of me 20 yards before I drew back. I got the "leg shakes" for a doe! I released and put down a good shot. She ran about 20 yards, stopped and dropped. Checked the shot during the field dressing and I hit both lungs and the heart. It was one of my cleanest kills ever. I am going to give the new spot another chance today. Hopefully now that I have one under by belt the "deer gods" can bless me with some action today.

Wish me luck! I will post pictures of the doe this evening in the Archers Kills thread (and hopefully something else from today).
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Next

Return to New York