Your day afield

stormshooter4

RE: Your day afield

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:45 pm

so  much for that terrible pic. I bet you guys want to see the front, not the back. I'll try this one.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 pm

pics were huge but got to see them nice looking rack good job.I hope to see something like that Sunday morning.I had family business that i had to take care of so sundays my rifle opener
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:45 pm

saw a doe and a spike could a shot em both but passed .the winds were crazy,swirling all over the place.something winded me and blew but never saw it.Spoke with the ranger said very few deer taken this weekend:thumbdown:It started to snow today so with the dropping temps and the rutting moon im sure its gonna pick up:wink:
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Joel, same report in the northern Catskills..rain all day, heavy at times and warm...a tornado warning to boot...winds were constantly changing direction..end result, I saw nothing, my buddies saw nothing as well, and heard a half dozen shots in the distance.  Saw one deer taken on the ride home.  With the colder temps and clearer weather this week I'm sure hte harvest will greatly improve.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:27 pm

FOR SALE..............1 slightly used package of Trailend #307 wafers (only been hung out once) good til 2011 , 1 bottle of Golden Estreous with wicks, not opened, dated 2008.
  Reason for selling, no buck tags left.[:D]

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 am

hmmmm how much?[;)]

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:59 am

I SOLD the #307 wafers so far. Matter in fact, they are being pressed into service this afternoon.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:49 am

I just got back from a 3 day hunt in Colchester. I seen a lot of doe over the 3 days but no bucks (they only shoot bucks on the property [:@]). 2 guys took nice 8 pointers (pictures to come later - I need to pull them off my camera) and one of them had a lot of character - a bunch of sticker points.

I got up this morning to the sound of gun shots by a guy my neighbor lets hunt behind our houses. He pulled out 2 doe (I am pretty sure you only get 1 tag [:@]). I am furious because I don't shoot the does in the back of my house. There are only 3 doe that hang out there and those are the best buck lure that you can use. That puts a damper on my hunting back there! Oh well, I guess that means more time to hunt in Westchester.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Treestand Sniper

Postby Treestand Sniper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:06 am

First of all let me tell you that I have been taking my stepson hunting with me on opening morning for the last 5 yrs.  He is 13 yrs old and I feel that it important to take the time out of my life to include him in the traditions of hunting.
I begin the morning hunt by explaining, yet again, that we are hunting..... If we cannot be stealth, and limit our twitches, coughs, farts, sneezes and convulsions, Then we are not HUNTING.... we are going for a walk in the woods and one of us is carrying a gun. [:)] And true to a 13 year old, my entire heart felt lecture goes in one ear and out the other.[:@]
We hastily get to our morning spot and wait for the sun to rise. There is nothing like being in the hardwoods when the earth wakes up for the day. As the morning sun casts color onto the scenery in front of us we can see the shapes of the "unknown" take their place in the woods.  "oh, that is a stump"  and "Oh, that is a fallen limb" And with 50% of us being absolutely still, and 50%  of us being absolutely quiet,  Nothing comes our way that we can put a tag on.

At 10am we change plans and go to the 70 acre field that is spotted with poplar trees and apple trees. And numerous pile of old field stone.  We set up behind some cover and put on alittle "Whitetail Theater"  We rattle and grunt and bleat and rattle some more. And low and behold.......... In walks this 2 1/2 yr old 4 pt.  He walks a frozen rope to within 15 yrds.  He is looking around trying to figure out what to do.  And I can not believe that 100% of us are being quiet, and 100% of us are still.  My stepson and I watch as this beautiful deer just....walks away.  He looks at me, and I at him, and I refer to my Responsible Adult to Juvenile Dictionary and I quote a phrase that I remember from the pages.  I say to him..... " that was cool."  He says "yea."

As we are walking back to the truck to take the 50% of us that is cold, back home to his mother, I cant help but think......somebody had to greatly decrease their chances of having a successful hunt by taking me into the woods with them when I was young.  When I was a beginner..... I am certain that I sounded like a elephant going through the woods.  If there was a twig to "snap"  You bet your booty I could find it.  And i would snap it louder than anyone.  Nobody could make fallen leaves under your feet sound like you were walking on potato chips better than I could. 

I sat there waiting for him to get in the truck thinking, "Am I getting through to this kid??"  The whole drive home I am thinking of little things that would give me a hint that he is catching on.....NOTHING comes to mind.  We didnt talk about the 4 pt.  All he wanted to do was get warm.  TOTAL quiet drive home.  We pull in the drive and walk into the house.  My wife says...." did you see anything?"  I said "yep.... a 4pt"  My wife says " Did you shoot it??" And before I can say anything to her my stepson says  "mom, he was too young.  He needs to get a couple yrs older."

Just then a brilliant light from the heavens shined down on me in the dining room.  A chorus of angels sang a hymn and I thought...... I am getting through to him.  I really am.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:14 am

good for taking the time to teach the next generation[;)]glad to hear you saw something too.

Previous

Return to New York