Your day afield

WayneL

RE: Your day afield

Postby WayneL » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:06 am

I hate when that happens. A few years ago I went shark fishing in Montauk. I didn't enter the big shark tournament and I caught a 400lb Hammerhead! I would have won! Live and learn.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 am

Well guys ...I'm officially depressed.....I have logged hunting time nearly every day....nothing...... and for the last two days took the climber out and all I saw were squirrels that looked like they were on steroids....set up in between 4 brooks among huge red oak and beech ...blk. cherrys and witchhazel ...on a bench half way down the hill...now if thats not a prime place in 70 degree weather I don't know....now cars out of comission(?)... the last wk of bow and I can't get to camp and hunt the big ten or eight I saw down there....geezzz...may get skunked this bow season....that hasn't happened in a looooonnnggg time....should have shot that doe I passed on...Ohh well...she ain't sang yet...lol

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:02 pm

what happened to your car?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Msbadger,
 Getting a deer isn't everything. Enjoy being outside and seeing nature around you. Sure, it's disheartening not to fill a tag, but enjoying the antics of nature is something you won't forget for years to come.
  The reward of filling a tag is nice and bumps up the ego I agree but to be out there and take in the solitude is rewarding too.
  If it happens (taking one) it was meant to be. There ahve been years all my tags stayed in storage, and some years most of them got filled. Kind of feast or famine.
  All you can do is keep plugging away at it and hope at one point it all comes together for you.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:07 am

Joel the wheel bearings on my "cheater beater" are shot.....she was only 300.00 and has a huge"cave in " on the drivers side but gets nearly 30mpg....when my dodge v8 4x4 died ...I wouldn't agree to get another new truck...lordy I hate spending money on vehicals...especially since I drive very little   Mr B has a company truck...anyhow she'll be fixed next wed....

stormshooter....tnks for the pep talk ...though getting a deer or several is very important part of our budget...for my "job" is the home stead and it is what we eat all year.....I'm usually the one that shoots and processes our deer and I have an empty freezer at present....I enjoy the solitude and wonderous happening on our land daily as I work the wood lot..animal and fruit trees...I've hunted and fished most of my life and watched my grandpa and his wife hunt and fish...for some it's a sport and I'd never knock that....though still in this day and age it's a life style to othersas I stated to Joel I hate spending money and those tags aren't free....sometimes I just need to vent...regroup my plan of attack and get going ....today is and evening hunt ...this heat has them hunkered in the surrounding pines and swamps to stay cool...with still much to eat they need not travel far from bedding during day light

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:17 am

well glad to hear it can be fixed last year my car was giving me fits during the season so i feel your pain.cold front is coming this sunday.i was gonna hunt fri,sat,sun ,now im thinking sat sun mon to take advantage of the cold.good luck you'll fill the freezer gun hasnt started yet[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:22 am

Msbadger,
  I know right where you're coming from. Spending dollars for tags plus all the money spent just to get there and enjoy the sport. The flood of 06 here in NY wiped out all my frozen deer meat. I found the freezer and a reefer on top of the wife's car when we opened the garage door 5 days later. My 06 and 07 seasons were busts. Not one tag filled. Now I think my luck is changing since I've attached one tag to a buck. It all came together for me Sunday afternoon. So hang in there, it'll happen. When, no one can say that.. but when it does, you'll smile and put all the worries aside.
  An FYI, I would get out every day and still come home emptyhanded, but yet still get back out there in hopes. I think we all do that so keep at it!. Ya can't get 'em on your couch or at work!!!
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:50 pm

Well here I am...6 more days and yesterday naught ...but found a rub on a 7'' diameter maple that starts a ft from ground and goes up 4ft...OOh and ran over a pygmy rattler with 4-wheeler [:o]...went back and poked it with a stick...before knowing....and it struck at me..... good I had a long stick!

checked out side this a.m. and all was good got ready.... then hit PC weather ...just then I heard it on the window...raining to beat the band.[&o]80% chance of rain ALL day long....all I need now is to shoot a deer and not be able to track it...decisions.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:31 am

i hear ya im holding off till tonight.sunday ,monday,tuesday are looking real good.this is prime time this week the rutting moon is the 13th.good luck to all only a few days left of the peace and quiet of bow season[:D]

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:59 am

This weather is KILLING ME! I haven't seen deer since opening weekend (while on stand. Of course they were bedded down under my ladder stand at 7pm last night!)! Friday - nothing, Saturday (and yes, I stayed in the rain all day) - nothing. Finally seeing some scrapes on the properties. Hopefully with the small temp drop overnight I can finally get something in shooting range. 
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

PreviousNext

Return to New York