Your day afield

msbadger

RE: Your day afield

Postby msbadger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:08 am

Well I did go out yesterday a.m. after rain let up....made it to stand without spooking up anything...climbed stand hooked in and thought good ....turned tosit and there I was eye to eye with a 6pt....half way down the hill looking at me ...we both froze ..then he bobbed head and turned back up hill...tree branches prevented any shot at 25yrds...he had followed me in ...waited hoping he'd circle but did't...Saw a pair of pheasant and thats a rarity in NY.......in the afternoon a doe with a 4pt hot on her tail came down the hill fullboard.....they weren't stopping for anything...this a.m. I heard deer around me but before day light....

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Well i gotta say this has been an odd bow season as far as weather goes. Seen a west wind once. Introduced my girlfriend to archery this season by buying her a nice Martin. spents lots of hours of practice for the season. Set her ladder stand up in a nice spot nobody has hunted in years. lots of sighn everywhere. First light of opening day she discovered her stand had been vandalized and unusable for the morning. Not knowing what to do she decided to endlessly call my cellphone which was on vibrate. Eventually i basically lose the morning hunt and wind up back at the house by 8:30. [:@][:@][:@] Wanting to add my girlfriend to my list of prey on the menu i cooled off and regrouped. wind changed and by the majic hour deer were moving. 2 nice doe crossed me at 10 yrds and were too irresistable as they were quartering away at 15. so i harvested the lead doe.[:D] 80 yrds is all i had to go. 2 bladed Rage broadheads this year and im a believer. A toddler could follow a rage bloodtrail. from that day i had several encounters with some young bucks and a handful of does. Biggest being a nice 6pt with 8-10 inch tines. Missed him 15 yrds.[:@][:@][:@] Hit the sleeve of my jacket with string. was one of my heavy jackets. never wore it during archery. Oh well. Lesson learned. Well friday a nice 4 pt rolled through. i had passed him up a couple times. this time he passed me up. when he got 60 yrds away i hit that Primos Buck roar. He stopped dead. I waited about 10 secs then hit it again and he turned right around. passing me at about 15 i couldnt stop him. I even yelled "HEY!" after several grunt attempts. Hit him alittle further back than i wanted but got all liver. Went 50 yrds and crashed.[:D] all in 5-10 seconds. The whole scenario took seconds. Glad it was quick for him. this has been one of the more difficult seasons for me. mainly with the time factor. so to cash in with a doe and a 4pt. even though he's a yearling, I feel fortunate. Both will look great right next to the mashed potatoes! Congrats to all that had success this season to date and good luck to all! Once the shooting starts saturday everything changes so heres to lady luck![;)]
Venison - the other red meat

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 pm

I got to say that it is getting boring reporting nothing but here goes. Friday I hunted the morning and afternoon - nothing seen. Saturday I hunted the morning and a few hours in the afternoon - nothing. Called it quits on Saturday after 2 hours in a downpour. Sunday morning hunt - nothing. Monday afternoon hunt - nothing. Seen a few deer over the weekend. One real nice 8 pointer and a few doe but nothing in shooting range.

Come on gun season! I need to break this bad luck streak I have this year. Hunting Saturday-Monday near Roscoe. Private mountain - 4000 acres. Should be good......I hope.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

glruikfef

Postby glruikfef » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:47 am

Looks like the rut is just about here. I was out yesterday afternoon, saw 7 doe and a small 6 pt. that was on the look out for does. He came trotting past my stand at 50 yards, I gave him a soft grunt with the call and he stopped but wouldn't come any closer, after he took off again I hit him with the doe bleat and stopped him but still wouldn't come any closer. I would say that by this weekend the rut will be in full swing. The 7 doe that I saw were not trailled by any bucks, but the bucks are out looking. Can't wait for Saturday.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:06 pm

[hr] went out today for a few hrs didnt see much then a small game guy came thru down low no biggie then some knucklehead comes crashing thru the woods stops about a 100yrds away and starts building a ground blind.the gun season starts 3 days from now.I whistled at him ,nothing he just kept making noise .i packed up and left.i didnt want to get into it with him after all its public land.What irks me is any real hunter knows its too late in the season to start making blinds and crashing blindly thru the woods.ImageI drove to check on another spot and saw a flock of bearded turkeys crossing the road that got the blood pumping .im gonna go back tomorrow and try to find them.maybe ill leave the guy a present in his blind[/align]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 am

Heck, (can't say hell, I'm on a family site) I wouldn't leave a surprise, on the way out, scatter it on him.

There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 am

Loel,
  Get any birds today?
  I did that last year while bow hunting. I had 17 different deer around me but no clear shots, but meanwhile a big flock of turkeys walked by. I went back up 3 days later in my turkey outfit, had the flock come up thru the woods, gobbling, yelping, and clucking. Took my shot when a tom was in the clear, ran over, and here was 2 toms down and out. 18 & 20 # birds. Made my day.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:35 pm

see black bear post[:D] no turkeys today
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:23 am

MY DAY AFIELD................I guess I could say it was great but very short today. Got a 6 point by 6:57am and was back home drinking coffee by 8:30.

pics to follow along with the story.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Here's the topper to "my day in the field".
  The typical NY day, rain, but I made the best of it. Headed to the treestand by 6:10am, climbed up in the stand, fastened myself to the tree and went to pull the gun up and the rope was caught on the tree bow below. So I had to unfasten my treestrap, go back down and unhook the line off of the bark. Climbed back up in the stand, fastened myself back into the strap, I felt the stand shift/settle. Looked down the ladder and could see it was bowed. Not feeling safe, I excited the stand, unhooked the gun off the pull up rope and then loaded the gun. Cause it was starting to rain harder, I headed over 40 yards to a couple bigger hemlocks I have sat under before. Didn't have my cushion since I didn't figure on being on the ground. Anyways, sat down, pulled on the facemask, put my gloves on and as I did that I was saying to myself, nasty day. You couldn't hear anything walking cause of the rain, wasn't easy to see being dismal out there. But at least I wasn't getting rained on. Scanned around a couple times thru the woods and the next time looked over towards the ravine, here was this guy standing there moseying along and feeding. And it was a buck. Pulled up the gun and took him. The .270 knocked him for a loop. Should of, he was only 29 yards away. I was back home by 8:30. Saturated, but happy. Not a bad day I'd say.
   I didn't resize the pic so it might be big.

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

PreviousNext

Return to New York