Southern opener

MeatHunter#737

Southern opener

Postby MeatHunter#737 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:25 am

Looks like it could be a washout Sat. probably wont get to the woods till 7 am... not looking forward to getting soaked to the bone, but got to do it anyway... statistically its the best day to fill the tags...
Venison is the sustinance of Life.........

JOEL

RE: Southern opener

Postby JOEL » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:14 am

in a way im glad its going to rain i have to attend my god daughters b-day party and i was going to miss out anyways or have to do a split day .now ill just go sunday[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Theres no way you could pay me enough to miss opening morning. Especially being a bowhunter, every bowhunt was also a scouting trip for shotgun. Bought poncho and luckily my back will be to the wind. Nasty weather keeps alot of people out of the woods. Better for guys like me. My family and I have enjoyed great success on days like this. giving me goosebumps just thinking about it! Good luck guy's! I got my lucky deer foot! lol
Venison - the other red meat

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:40 pm

I am PSYCHED! I am heading out tomorrow to the Cooks Falls/Horton/Roscoe area. I have a 3 day trip planned on 4000+ private acres just off Route 17. Last year, even though I didn't shoot, I had an opportunity at a real nice 8 and a buddy took a big 6 pointer. Since I bow hunt mainly on small plots of land in Westchester, this is a big change of style for me. Will I stalk around looking for a shooter? Maybe I will sit in the stand for the day. Who knows? Thats not important. Getting up in the morning and having a cup of coffee in the cabin with a few of your buddies talking about what you seen on the mountain....... That's hunting.

While doing "our work weekend" (I call it scouting) I found a lot of bear sign. They owners of the property are letting us take a bear! It has been around 30 years since they let any of the hunters take a bear. Needless to say, I am hoping for the opportunity.

It has been a while since I was excited for gun season (being a bowhunter at heart) but for some reason, I feel this is going to be a great weekend.

Since my season has been a bunch of nothing so far (1 doe), it could only get better. Wish me luck.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Return to New York