Calling 'em in

WayneL

Calling 'em in

Postby WayneL » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Has anyone had luck calling deer in? Since Southern NY has such a high doe to buck ratio, getting anything to come when called is proving to be tough. The only luck I have had is with a grunt tube or bleat and that doesn't work too often. I need to stick with low, tending grunts to even raise a response. Rattling seems like a waste of time. I have never gotten a response while rattling. I know it works on TV but they must have a low doe:buck ratio and there is some competition for the doe (I imagine).   
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

NYSupersportsman

RE: Calling 'em in

Postby NYSupersportsman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:08 am

I tried rattling when I first started hunting and only had it work once. It was prolly just luck so I quit ratting. I use a grunt and a bleat call. I have only had a buck grunt call work once but I have had a bleat call work numerous times. I have had buck run right at my tree and brush up against the ladder on my treestand. IMO the estrous bleat is the best call to use in NY.  There are a few places in NY that have alot better buck to doe ratio that rattling and grunting and even decoying works. Just not in my neck of the woods.

adirondackhunter

RE: Calling 'em in

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:21 am

One year i used just a young buck grunt call in a 6 pt.Another year i used a young buck grunt call and a quaker boy doe in heat can call and called in an 8 pt.I haven't had any luck with rattling.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Return to New York