Will gas prices affect your Deer Hunting ?

fasteddie

Will gas prices affect your Deer Hunting ?

Postby fasteddie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 am

It will mine . I have a friend who owns 56 acres and is about 1/2 mile from here . I set up a couple trail cams but not seeing much of anything ( doe , couple fawns , small rack buck) . No consistant travel times . Most everything else is at least 50 miles away , none of which would be an overnight stay unless i went to my son's property in Italy Valley , south of Potter .

allthingshunting

RE: Will gas prices affect your Deer Hunting ?

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:27 am

Hopefully you are pretty far south of Potter.  I have family that owns a cabin near Cross Forks in Potter.  They had great success 10 years ago.  They have not killed a buck in the last 2 years.  And only 1 small buck the year before those.  Hate to blame the management (Mostly because it has helped us tremendously here in York Co. - Southern PA) but their success and numbers steadily fell off to zero from the first day the major changes in PA were implemented.

I have done a lot of hunting in Maryland that i am sure will not take place this year.  Most was in the form of day trips, but involved 2+ hours of driving.  Now, i will sacrifice areas i KNOW are good and focus on trying to find new areas close to home.  While i look forward to the new sights and challenges, i sure did like the confidence i felt when visiting my good spots.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:50 am

my closest spot is 1/2 hr away and then 45 mins away,then its 1 1/4 then 2hrs then the biggie to ithaca is 5,not sure about ithaca this year.I saved money all year so that i could go to the adirondacks for the early bow hunt.maybe i'll stick to the pasta and venision meatballs diet ive been on and go anyway[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:52 pm

My hunting spot is 1/2 hr away from my house.Last year ,2 days before Thanksgiving i found a nice rub.The tree was 20" in dia, bottom of the rub was approx 2 ft from the ground,the top of the rub was approx 3ft .So i'm going to stay home and concentrate in that area.No it's not a sign post but does were hanging in the area so i think the buck had alot of built up frustration.[:D] 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:55 am

My son's property in Italy Valley is a bit North of Camp Koininia (sp) . Many of the property owners and hunters started a QDM pact . They are attempting to shoot 2 1/2 yr old bucks only . It just started last year . Problem is the hunters on State land . Anyway , some nice bucks have been harvested but QDM hasn't affected that as it has just been started > I am satisfied with does .
I don't hunt that property much . I am 67 and can get around but that area is soooooooooo hilly ! [8|]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:04 am

NOT AT ALL! Ive been saving up all summer for this. I will be making 3 trips past the bridge this season. 2 trips to Escanaba-6 hr drive and 1 trip to Iron River 8hr drive. I also have found some new area's about a half hour from here. Its close to CMU and my gf goes there, so I figured Id hang a stand some where around there. I knew gas was going to be bad this year, so I just started to save money. Im really stoked I did this cuz now I have even more places to hunt.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to New York