Got my Bow Season Buck - 8 Point

Headrush

Got my Bow Season Buck - 8 Point

Postby Headrush » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:36 am

Been seeing deer and have already seen 2 BIG Bucks at our spot in Palmyra. Something about powerlines, RR trax, and streams that seem to funnel deer there. Might be our last yr since its up for sale too so we're trying to make the most of it.

So far I've seen another 8 that was close to 18 wide he was easily even with the tips of his ears, and my buddy saw an 8 that may have been 22"+ inside walk under my stand when I slept in 2 Sudays ago ARRGGGHH!!

Anyway, hes not a monster but I'm happy with him. Story to follow too

As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

Headrush

RE: Got my Bow Season Buck - 8 Point

Postby Headrush » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:55 am

There is a stream east and west and each side is open but covered in tall grass. Then it turns into cattails and brush behind me all the way to the RR Trax. They like to cruise the river looking for doe. I just happened to have one out in front of me when I saw him junp a log coming down along the river in my direction. A train had also started to go by and the trax are only abour 80 yds behind me. It was so loud that he couldn't hear my can (doe bleat) and I couldn't stop him. He kept going after he checked the doe on the other side of the river. The river is 28 yds away and thats pretty much my limit. Finally the train passed and I tried the can again and he stopped, turned around and headed for me. He crossed the river then walked right at my tree. I couldn't draw because there was nothing between us from 50-60 yds out. I got lucky and he hit the scrape 8 yds in front of me RIGHT BELOW ME! When he hit the licking branch he closed his eyes and that was my chance so I drew and even tho he was facing me I put it right in the boiler room and he was down literally 30 yds from that scrape. I ended up hitting both lungs and just about everything near them. I wouldn't recommend that shot but it was all I had before he got by me.
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:37 am

HR ...Congrats...Sounds like good planning and a great hunt[:)]....The boy looks like he was an older boy from the look of his face...Age?

charlie

Postby charlie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:34 pm

nice deer bro congrats.

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:31 pm

I estimate he was around 2 1/2. I don't think he was mature yet because he was not really big bodied nor was his rack even close to the size of a couple bucks we've seen in there this year. One 8 point is waaaay out past his ears!! C'Mon Saturday!

Good luck everyone!! Be safe

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 am

Very nice buck! Congrats!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Return to New York