Arial Photos - INternet Scouting Made Easy

Headrush

Arial Photos - INternet Scouting Made Easy

Postby Headrush » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Yeah I know another new post from you know who. 

This is something I wanted to share with everyone.  A couple of years ago I had been reading all the articles regarding using an arial photo to pinpoint certain areas to hunt etc...well I used to use a site called Terraserver.com.  That worked pretty well for a while but then I found this site!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?q=2207+archer+rd+14432&FORM=MSNH&mkt=en-US

This is a site where not only can you look at black and white arials but you can zoom right in using a "Birds Eye View" function.  I can literally SEE the deer trails in the swampy area I hunt In Palmyra.  This thing is SOOOOO useful.  Give it a try. Play with it, and don't forget that when looking at a property that there's also a full screen option under the tools tab above the photo "window"

This link is actually a place I turkey hunt but I tried to zoom out to give you a better idea of what the site offers (you can type in an address too!).  This made me a better hunter immediately, and hopefully it will help all of you too!!
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

JOEL

RE: Arial Photos - INternet Scouting Made Easy

Postby JOEL » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 am

try google earth too
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am

Great post Headrush. I've always used Google Earth, but the aerials pics of my property are extremely old on Google Earth. The photos on Bing are brand new! Last winter as far as I can tell! Thanks for sharing.

Headrush

Postby Headrush » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks Mav. Figured I'd bump this one back up the front page to make sure some more folks got to try it out too. Once I found that site I couldn't stop looking, especially using the birds eye view. Very clear, and you can figure out the yardages by using the scales too. Very useful tool

I like to scout the most for deer sign and stand sites during the winter. Get back out scouting now during turkey season guys and gals, so you can get em' hung up early!

Good Luck
As the Nuge says - "Hail to the Gods of Gut piles and Blood trails...I've got backstrap FEVER and somethin's gona die today!"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:46 am

Great sight....little scary what the town assessor can now see...[;)][:D]...lol

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 am

Cool site Headrush,
I switched over to my home place in Indiana and it says birds eye view is not available here. My place looks to be prior to 2007 judging by the fence placements. I'll still use the site and hope they upgrade my area photos.
Thanks,

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat May 01, 2010 2:23 am

When I first found this site I spent hours playing with it. Very cool and useful.  Thanks for the tip.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

grizz

Postby grizz » Mon May 17, 2010 3:07 pm

HELP ... I tried the site all I get is a road map
sounds great but cant get the birds eye view

grizz

Postby grizz » Mon May 17, 2010 3:28 pm

never mind tried it again and have it thanks

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 am

Try looking at Pearl Harbor. You can actually see the battleship Arizona in the water. Mt. St. Helen is cool too. Let you imagination take you on a tour.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to New York