Rut Report

gcgarner

RE: Rut Report

Postby gcgarner » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:18 am

is he the biggest buck in the woods youre hunting?

No. See Post #4 above.

Chugbug

Postby Chugbug » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:37 pm

This seems to be a really wierd season.  I can't imagine why the does would let him hang around, unless the rut is just not going at all yet.  I have watched does kick the crap out of younger bucks by this time in November.  I still can't find any encouraging buck sign on our farm.  Could have taken a small five pointer Saturday with the bow, but I am not interested in any young or small bucks.  There is some colder weather coming later this week.  Cross your fingers that this will finally jump start these deer...!  Good luck and happy hunting.

gcgarner

Postby gcgarner » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I'm going to hunt in the morning just to do it since I have the day off. Not really looking forward to it since things aren't happening yet ... but you never know ...

I sat all day Monday and only saw 8 turkeys. I plan on sitting all day again this Monday. It should be a lot colder and, like you said, hopefully that will get things moving.

Brute750i

Postby Brute750i » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:00 pm

ok as of today (thanksgiving) they are def chasing hard in wake co. had a buck come in runnin off a doe this morning could not get a shot on him. she was eatin some corn and as soon as she saw him she took off he followed her exact steps. looked to be an 8 pt. guessing 16-17inch spread. man oh man i hope he comes back tomorrow

gcgarner

Postby gcgarner » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Well, season is over here. Things never really got rolling around here. Only saw a few small bucks while I was hunting. Took a shot at a doe at about 300 yards in the last minute or so of shooting light and I'm pretty sure I missed. Never found blood or any sign that I hit her. So I came up empty this season. Oh well, on to prep for next year.

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:38 am

Sorry to hear about the lack of rut activity. I was in the woods almost every day during November and didn't see the kind of rut activity I expected. I did harvest an 8 pt on Nov. 19th and saw a lot of good bucks, but never did see the really odd bucks I know are in the areas I hunt. I have turned my attention back to harvesting does trying to get my ratio in check for next year. On Friday, Dec 18th I saw a big 8 pt. in a field right next to one of my properties that was chasing does around which leads me to believe the secondary rut is in swing. Good luck to those still hunting, for myself, I'm already looking forward to next season.  

saintdeer

Postby saintdeer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi all, just joined to look for reasons why I didnt see a darn thing worth shooting at this year. I did during the summer...and dead on side the road, but in the woods I never saw rutting during daylight. I hunted early, late all day....nothing. This is the first year in 20 years of deer hunting I didn't get a thing! Been hunting the same 75 acres for 5 years now and all I saw this year was a lil 6pt...I saw him alot too! With the same 5 or 6 does all year. I did see scrapes and rubs, and one I will post on a 10" around tree, but never the big deer I usually see. And 1 more thing, when people who do not hunt go meandering around in the woods, don't you think they should haveto wear hunter orange? I saw a lady walking a GOLDEN RETRIEVER through the woods I was hunting. I would never shoot until I know exactly what it is I am shooting at, but that tan dog sure had me fooled for a good minute. Scared the hell outta me when I saw her behind the dow with a green jacket and hat on!
anyway, this year sucked for me!

Previous

Return to North Carolina