New deer tags

motorbreaker

New deer tags

Postby motorbreaker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:46 am

I dont like having the new paper tag tied around the antlers on my deer. And if I put them some where i will proley
lose them. Why couldnt you grind or etch the tag number onto the back of the antlers? Think this would fly?
Would it be worth contacting the odnr to see if it would be legit if they wanted to see a tag for a mount?
Jake

motorbreaker

Re: New deer tags

Postby motorbreaker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Anybody???
Jake

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Just staple or tape it to the backside of the mount (where it rides against the wall) it will always be there, it will be protected, and should satisfy the rules. But check with ODNR to make sure.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:53 pm

You mean that you have no place that you can put things so that you won't lose it? Kellory's suggestion is also a good one.
I liked the metal tags, but they're gone. You've just got to be a bit flexible here. The DOW is trying to save $ in areas that don't really effect us that much. It's only a tag.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Ohio farms wrote:You mean that you have no place that you can put things so that you won't lose it? Kellory's suggestion is also a good one.
I liked the metal tags, but they're gone. You've just got to be a bit flexible here. The DOW is trying to save $ in areas that don't really effect us that much. It's only a tag.

I do a lot of europien style mounts. There realy isnt a good place to hide a tag on one of them. You could save
the paper tag but how can you prove it goes with what deer??? I just want to be legal, And have no problems if the odnr
ever did come around.
I also hang some mounts outside. And the tag would never last outside.
Jake

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:58 pm

I would suggest you contact DNR and ask if writing the tag number on the backside of the mount, and filing the tag, would sufice. That would match each mount to the proper paperwork, and keep the tags in good shape.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 pm

Laminate the tag, then roll it up and stick it inside the brain cavity... should stay there forever and wouldn't be too hard to get out with a long pair of forceps or needlenose...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

wildlifetag

Postby wildlifetag » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm

[EDITED FOR ADVERTISING VIOLATIONS]

Return to Ohio