Less deer sightings this year in ohio?

Ifishandhunt

Less deer sightings this year in ohio?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Is it me or is anyone else here in Ohio seeing less deer this year? I have seen deer, but not as often and not in many of the places I normally see them. I am in Butler County and I know we don't have the deer population that say Adams County has, but it still seems like less deer this year. Any thoughts?

epd68

RE: Less deer sightings this year in ohio?

Postby epd68 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 am

your observations are spot on... the deer activity in geauga county was very low largely due to the hot weather...odnr would have you believe that deer numbers are down but i predict that 2010 will be a surplus year given cold weather...these things happen...i went bowhunting at least 22 times since oct 18 and saw few deer but i will continue to hunt as those who came before me did    

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:51 am

Hope you are right. I did see a few this morning as I was hunting.
Figured I'd see if the deer were moving before our shotgun weekend starts but I had a bad day though: I brought my buddy's crossbow instead of my compound bow. I am regretting that because I had a doe in my sights and shot at it about 35 yards. I liver shot her... tracked her for 3 hours and then the blood trail went dry. It twists my stomach, thinking how I injured that deer. I did all I could do to try and pick back up on a blood trail. The crossbow is very loud when the trigger is pulled and I think the doe jumped the string because I had the bow sighted in myself and was dead on at the target range. I put the sight on this doe right over her shoulder and she was standing completely still, gnawing on an overhanging branch so there is no reason for a liver shot. The only thing I can think is she heard the bow release and jumped the string. This is the second time now that it happened to me using this crossbow plus I killed a buck earlier this year but luckily I recovered him easily. The shot too was further back then where I had the sights.

So on my way home, I stopped back in at the gun club, went over to the archery range, went 35 yards from the target and shot two bolts... bullseye both times. So the bow is fine... I now believe the loudness is the real problem. I think I will head back out to track that deer again if not today, then tomorrow morning. Luckily I hunt private property so there should hopefully be no hunters to disturb. Hope I beat the coyotes.

epd68

Postby epd68 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:47 am

crossbows are notoriously fickle in wet weather all you need is a little moisture in the deck and it affects arrow flight ....stick with the compound bow ....with the cold and snow in northeast ohio i am seeing an increase in deer activity.....its 943am on 12/20 and i am watching a 160 class 12pt chase 8 does on a hillside just outside cleveland .....a no hunting zone but it confirms my suspicion of a late rut due to prior warm weather

LongCut

Postby LongCut » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:18 am

Everyone I know that deer hunts is saying the same thing. They are not seeing deer. I agree that the warmer weather we have had most of the season is the main culprit. Most of I the guys I know can flat out hunt, and bag multiple deer each year, so these are no hacks making excuses. My brother has access to 600 acres of VERY private land. He only gun hunts as he does not pratice with his bow enough and won't hunt with it yet, so he has only been out a few times on this land. He saw more than most guys I know, but less than expected during regular gun season. With the cold and snow, he saw bunch yesterday in a few short hours and filled his first tag of the year. I expect the remainder of archery, and muzzloader season to be better that the rest of this year. I sure hope I am right as I have yet to fill a tag in Ohio this year.

epd68

Postby epd68 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:03 pm

i predict that you will see a significant increase in northern ohio deer activity especially mature bucks i saw a nice 160 class buck chasing a pack of does less than 48 hours ago...due to the earlier warm weather these mature bucks were mating only at night ....under cooler conditions bucks would mate day and night which is how we can kill them....this season they had only night to mate UNTIL NOW cold weather and does in their second estrous cycle are creating a true second rut IF YOU CAN GET THE TIME ,IF YOU CAN ENDURE THE CONDITIONS (www.heaterbodysuit.com)...YOU WILL GET A CHANCE AT ALL THE BUCKS NOBODY SAW IN OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER....if i didnt get a nice 140 class buck on opening day i would be in my heaterbodysuit 25ft in the tree covered in snow....good luck to all  

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:01 pm

the deer activity in geauga county was very low largely due to the hot weather...odnr would have you believe that deer numbers are down but i predict that 2010 will be a surplus year given cold weather...

epd68,

I have a feeling your right-on, the odnr will say the northern ohio deer population is down based on harvest numbers and so on... I know the population is fine. I saw more deer (at all hours) during the late summer than I've ever saw before. When the fall coats started growing in and the temps. were UP... no more deer. I have lots of trail cam pics of thin coated bucks, does, and fawns at legal times. After the velvet peeled and the fur thickened up I had a few more days of day time activitey and the everything went to night. I did get my buck early, but it was at the last half hour of legal time. My wife got a button buck the same way. She and my daughter still need to fill an "either- or" tag.

epd68

Postby epd68 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:38 am

with the consistent cold weather i predict the deer activity will increase during daylight hours both to feed and breed also pressure will be down as hunters take vacation earlier

RedBud

Postby RedBud » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:07 am

I hunted in S.E. Ohio in Perry County and I agree I saw less deer this year than normal.  I was hunting in an area of Wayne National Forest where there is always a lot of hunters.  The Sunday before the first day of gun season was a nice day and hunters were shooting guns all day.  I thought it was either all that shooting or the hunting pressure but I guess it could have been the weather.  I hope there aren't that many less deer.  Fewer deer and no acorns could be a problem for next year's population.

epd68

Postby epd68 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:20 pm

listen,do not worry about acorns if the deer are breathing then they are eating ,if the deer are eating then they are moving, if the deer are moving you will see them, if you see them then you can kill them deer hunting hasnt changed in thousands of years what happened this year was warm weather that caused deer to move ,feed and breed more after dark than during the day.....its that simple and completely out of your control....could you run the boston marathon in 70 degree temps-maybe so BUT could you run the boston marathon in 70 degree temps while wearing a full length fur coat -even if you could why not wait for the sun to set and do the marathon when its 10 to 20 degrees cooler ....now you are thinking like a deer...besides if the odnr is correct we lost 50% of our deer population...if so then where are the carcasses? 

Next

Return to Ohio