help

DeanoZ

RE: help

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 am

I'm thinking somethign in their habitat has changed?  Food source and pressure are usually the culprits and sicne you've indicated there has been little in the way of other hunters perhaps their food source has changed?  Do you see any sign, fresh tracks, droppings, rubs, scrapes?  has a another food source nearby become more attractive to them.  I find it interesting there are less hunters in the woods, perhaps they too have realized there is little activity and have moved on?

tony L

Postby tony L » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:45 pm

hi, yes there are some srapes and droppings but no rubs this place is usually a nite hunt. I have pictures of does eatting, and it seems to be very close to the ground what do you think they are eatting, i looked around and there's no acorns do you think i should move on

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 am

I think you should first do a surveillance of the other property in the area and see if there are more viable food sources they may prefer.  What time of day are you getting the pictures of the does feeding?  How many pictures and how big is the property your hunting?  If its mostly pine with some hardwoods and there is no food source holding them there, they will move on or pass through it.

tank2448

help

Postby tank2448 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:05 am

i have just relocated to the ottawa ohio area from georgia.i need help finding some where to hunt deer and turkey.i am a safe and ethical hunter.former law enforcement and former hunter education volunteer in georgia.i would greatly appreciate any advice or help.u can e mail me at thompson.chuck@ymail.com

epd68

Postby epd68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:46 pm

ottowa is NW ohio i think check the ODNR website for public hunting also the black river hunt club may have access to farms in your area

RedBud

Postby RedBud » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 am

I lived in Ottawa in 1970 and taught at Kalida HS. I am now retired and live in Dayton. Most people in NW Ohio hunt on private land. There are a few public hunting areas, e.g. Oxbow on the other side of Defiance. There are large tracks of public hunting land in SW Ohio, about 3 hrs drive from Ottawa. I hunt a lot in Wayne National Forest. The hunting pressure is high in places but nothing like Salt Fork. There are a lot of deer & turkey but large rack deer are a little hard to find. Private land is best for big bucks.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 am

[font="Tahoma"]Try these links -

Cascade Wildlife Area

Northwestern Ohio Wildlife Area Maps
[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Return to Ohio