Late season Bow (Ohio)

OHIOCE

Late season Bow (Ohio)

Postby OHIOCE » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 am

Here I am again, past the rut with an either-sex permit.  Shot my bow today to be sure my sights are still on, I hope to get out some between now and muzzleloader.  Anyone else still trying? I will concentrate on cut bean fields in the evenings, I have no better places to hunt late season.  Any suggestions for late season?  I know to focus on food sources but they are limited or non-existant on the properties I have access to.  Good luck!!
Television............Decreasing our intelligence, health, and productivity one show at a time.

Marc Anthony

RE: Late season Bow (Ohio)

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:43 am

ORIGINAL: OHIOCE

Here I am again, past the rut with an either-sex permit.  Shot my bow today to be sure my sights are still on, I hope to get out some between now and muzzleloader.  Anyone else still trying? I will concentrate on cut bean fields in the evenings, I have no better places to hunt late season.  Any suggestions for late season?  I know to focus on food sources but they are limited or non-existant on the properties I have access to.  Good luck!!

Hi OHIOCE,

I just dropped a nice IL. buck using some late season strategies. I wrote a small piece on Prairie State Outdoors today regarding the hunt. I also answered some questions related to late season hunting. Feel free to read it. I hope it helps! http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/ind ... tag_filled

I also wrote some previous articles below that article with the same subject. I love pre-season and late season deer hunting, in fact, I'll take it over the rut any day.

Good luck this season! Don't give up!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:28 am

Impressive Marc, congrats on your late season success!  I'm still 0-150+ hrs on stand this season...but I'm not giving up! Thanks for the tips as well.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:33 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Impressive Marc, congrats on your late season success!  I'm still 0-150+ hrs on stand this season...but I'm not giving up! Thanks for the tips as well.

Thanks DeanoZ!

Never give up my friend! Getting skunked is part of the game also :-(

I've had my fair share, believe me.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Marc, you amaze me!

And thanks for your willingness to answer people's questions. I learn a lot just reading the give-and-take.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:37 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Marc, you amaze me!

And thanks for your willingness to answer people's questions. I learn a lot just reading the give-and-take.

Steve

I'm glad to answer anything I can Steve! Merry Christmas to you and the other D&DH forum members!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:54 am

I have to echo Steve's sentiments here.  Marc I'm amazed but should not be, your clearly an accomplished hunter and I'm grateful for your insight and help!

RedBud

Postby RedBud » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am

I want to go one more time before bow season is over. I'm waiting for a few days of good weather.  I didn't go the muzzle loader season because of the weather.  Based on the deer killed, that may have been a mistake.  It was a surprise to see more killed than last year.  I have already killed two does but have not yet got my buck.

mbeavers8

Postby mbeavers8 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:30 am

For some reason I can't read the IL buck post so i'm not sure what was suggested.  However a couple buddies of mine and I have already killed our bucks during bow season and decided to try harder to take a few more does out.  We waited until it started getting real cold and put corn piles out.  No luck so far with the does becasue we have been getting a lot of real nice bucks coming in (some that I really can't wait to see at 20 yards next October!!).  The trail cameras are showing a lot of activity almost all during shooting hours.  I know a lot of people frown upon baiting but if you want to thin your does out it doesn't hurt and so far have gotten 4 different 150"+ bucks on camera.  Just a suggestion. Good Luck!

Return to Ohio