2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

OHhunter

2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 am

With bow season only a little over a week away, I wanted to start a journal for all Buckeye state hunters to share their expiriences and what activity they are seeing in the deer woods.

I'm hoping with enough participants we can use it as an aide in determining what stage of the rut we are in, what forages they are keying on at different times of the season and hopefully help us all fill our tags. 

It may help if you include the county/region you are hunting in, either in your post or in your profile under location, so that we know what region you are discussing.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Ohio farms

RE: 2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 am

I started a deer hunting journal on the farm I hunt (and now own) in 1988.  It includes:
Date, times hunted, clouds vs sun, wind speed and direction, air temp, stand location, is the corn/soybeans up or harvested, snow or not, who hunted with me and how they did and a place for a narative.
I'm not sure how much it improved my hunting, but I can go back 20 years and read the narative and it is like I was there again.  All my deerhunting memories are there...my first bow kill, first buck, my daughter's first deer and on and on. 
Sometimes when I miss a nice deer it is hard to sit down and write it up, but I make myself do it, including  my emotions and feelings.
I plan to hand it down to my daughter when I am gone, so she will never forgot what deer hunting has meant to me.  
Forgot to mention that the farm is in northern Trumbull county near Mosquito Reservior, northeast Ohio 

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 am

I had a journal like that, very detailed.  It got lost when we moved a couple years back.  Now I'm starting all over.  Got one year so far.

Forgot it in my initial post, but I'm in Ross County, about an hour south of Columbus.
Brad

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm

That's too bad that you lost it.  Never to late to start again.  Good luck.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Slightly off the subject but I'll be hunting Knox county in a couple of weeks....any opinions on that area?
Thanks
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I hunt 2 counties in northwest ohio, and figure I'll give the counties as I hunt them. This is first year I'm keeping journal. Looking forward to hearing more from everyone as the season goes. Good luck too everyone!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Opening Day for archery is only a few days away. Anyone going out? I will probably go out Saturday evening and Sunday morning. The weather forcast is rain with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70 to 80 range. Good luck to anyone else hitting it this weekend. Keep us posted.
Brad

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:39 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Opening Day for archery is only a few days away. Anyone going out? I will probably go out Saturday evening and Sunday morning. The weather forcast is rain with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70 to 80 range. Good luck to anyone else hitting it this weekend. Keep us posted.

I was going out for opening day in OH. but I lost my spot at the last moment! Boy, does that stink!!! Tags in hand but no place, so I'm contemplating some state ground just for the first few days. Can anyone recommend a good area or someone who would lease some ground for a few days?
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey Mark, sent you a PM. Some public ground that might be worth a look.
Brad

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks a bunch OHhunter, I looked it over, It definitely is in a good area. Now if I can just find a highway that goes that direction! LOL.

I'll be in the southern part of the state soon, so I'll also look for something in that general area. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Next

Return to Ohio