2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

OHhunter

RE: 2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Just got off the phone with one of farmers I hunt on, said that the lane that runs through the property is tore up with rubs. Getting pumped for the weekend.

Earlier today I was moving stands after finding out they were going to be logging about 80% of the woods on another farm I hunt. All that preseason preperation out the window days before the season opens. Good news is I got all the stands out and relocated before the loggers got to them.
Brad

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:36 am

OHhunter that sucks, are you still going to hunt that farm or is it ruined for the year. I probably won't get out till Tuesday, but it sounds like its going to cool off  should be good. Good luck to everyone going out. Hope to see some pics.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm

I will still hunt it just had to move my stands around, the neighbors still have plenty of woods, I'm going to try and get them coming off the neighbors in the evenings and heading back in the morning. This property still has all the fields and several wooded ravines and fence lines. Not the ideal situation but I'll try to work with it.

Good luck Tuesday, let us know how you do. I'm going out tommorrow evening if the rain isn't to bad and probably Sunday morning.
Brad

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:11 am

I just wanted to wish you good luck.  Right now I'm about 10 miles due South of the Moscow Plant in KY, but  looking North, I can't see the dairy barn, let alone the plume.  We're socked in with pea-soup fog, and there's a thunderstorm just to the South. Cynthiana's getting it.  It should be crossing the river before too long, and it looks like it's going to cover the whole south east of the state by Noon.

All you Buckeyes be safe  this morning.  I should have died several times over trying to drive the back roads in fog like this, trying to get to my morning stand. 

Me?  I still have a couple stands to attend to, and then I'm going to scout.    If the rain lets us, Angus has his 30-30 to sight in, and I have two muzzleloaders to fiddle with. 

Good luck.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:30 am

Well the rain has lightend up enough that I'm going to head out, South wind is going to work well for me. Radar shows a few patchy pockets of light rain yet to come, I feel for anyone hunting the eastern part of the state looks like your in for some heavy stuff the remainder of the day. Good luck to anyone headed out tonight.
Brad

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Had a great evening on the stand, got in woods around 3:30 and finally started seeing deer around 7:20. Wind was from ese, and had thunderstorms to my north and south but dry where I was at. 7:20 had I nice buck walk under my stand I was debating between 2.5 and 3.5, I went with 2.5 year old and let him walk. About 15 min. later had a big mature buck rubbing some sapplings on the edge of some CRP, he was 40 yds away facing me. So no shot, he had another buck with him but couldn't get a good look to many leaves. Hope everyone else had a great evening also. I'll be heading out in the morning.
Brad

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:31 am

went out Sat. eve', saw 2 does haulin' butt. 15-20 min. later a buck came into the field and followed thier tracks. The buck was to far to count the points. I might try a scent trail and decoy next time. I thought it might be to early for chasing, but maybe not.

Went out Sun. Morn.. Lots of rain with only a short brake for about an hour. Lucky I had a ground blind for my daughter and me. We SAW NOTHING.

I'm taking her out Sun. eve'. Its windy, but maybe we can make something happen with a decoy, scent trail, and doe bleats.

OHIOCE

Postby OHIOCE » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Sat morning I saw a big coyote at about 8 but he spooked before I could get a shot.  Sat. evening saw a nice 8pt(about 120") around 6:30 and decided to pass being the first day and all, 3 does came in around 7:30.  Saw nothing sunday morning, didn't hunt evening.  The white oaks aren't dropping yet and that hurts most of my stand locations.  Hoping they will start falling soon.  Good luck all!!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:28 pm

My nephew and I hunted my farm in Trumbull county this evening. We both got nice does. They were busy eating acorns that were dropping.  Did not see any rut activity, but I swear I could smell buck scent from my stand.  Beautiful evening to be in the woods. 

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio