2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

wolfpack

RE: 2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

Postby wolfpack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:04 pm

whats the rattaling and grunting about this early its not the rut yet 3to 1 your not gonna get any interest.

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Thats what I used to think too. If I understood some of Charles Alshiemer's ( I think thats how its spelled) reports from last season T.V. shows, what most people consider to be the rut is only the heavy part of the rut. Once bucks start shedding velvet they are already starting to develope testosterone and will have sparring matches to develop a pecking order. I've never seen it , but the farmer that owns the property I hunt saw a "HUGE" buck slowly muscle down 4 smaller bucks one nite when he was checking the fields. He said it reminded him of an arm wrestle match. I thought maybe a light rattle and grunt might work.

Has anyone else thought this same way, or am I way out there with my thinking. I'm no expert, I've only been deer hunting for a handful of years. I have been known to be wrong once and a while, or at least thats what my wife reminds me[:D][:D].

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:58 am

I haven't had much luck rattling this early, I have seen bucks sparring in September. The deer I"ve seen sparring out in the fields this early don't seem to attract any attention from other deer. I usually hold off on the rattling till later in October as bucks start getting a little more aggessive towards each other. That being said if I see a buck out in a field now and I don't think I have any chance of him heading my way I will do a little rattling. If it seems to peak his curiosity I will continue if he ignores it I stop. I don't like the idea of educating them anymore than I have to.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

OHIOCE

Postby OHIOCE » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Got out this evening(Sat.) and got skunked, only saw a red fox, I will be trying again tomorrow.  Any suggestions on when a decoy is effective?  I just  got one but have no experience using one.  Thanks and good luck!!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:06 pm

I normally don't start decoying till late October, I don't do it much but the few times I've done have been great. I use a 3d deer target and do a little rattling.

Went out this evening saw a couple does around six and ended up killing a coyote just before dark.
Brad

OHIOCE

Postby OHIOCE » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:12 pm

They are always fun to get, I am itching to try this decoy because i've wanted one for years, just thought it may be way too early.  Thanks

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Fri. night took my 12 old son out didn't see anything but had a good time.
He doesn't sit still very well, but we're working on it. We got down a little early and we found a scrape on pretty well used trail.

Sat. night saw a doe and fawn 300 yards away right before dark they were eating beans. Not much action other than that. Probably won't get out again till Wed. Good luck to all

OHIOCE

Postby OHIOCE » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:57 pm

We saw 3 does Sun morning, my dad took one of them,  I probably won't be out again til next weekend.  Good luck all!!

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:17 pm

Used a 3D target last Nov and put an open bottle of doe scent under it (without antlers). Worked great!! Used doe bleat with it and a grunt. Shot at a doe Sat eve but hit a branch I didnt see. She never did figure it out, so hopefully be back soon. Good luck fellas. BHB

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Saw several does this morning, still trying to get a handle on how the deer are moving through this clear cut.
Brad

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio