2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

mbeavers8

RE: 2009 Ohio Hunting Journal

Postby mbeavers8 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

new to the forum read most of it just curious if anyone is seeing any response to any scents yet?

C M Deer

Postby C M Deer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:15 pm

New to the forum as well. Good question about the use of scent and was wondering myself when is a good time to start using Doe Estrous vs. Doe Urine?

Thx

mbeavers8

Postby mbeavers8 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:57 pm

we are filming thursday friday and sunday going to try a little antler tickling and see. seems like a pretty informative sight hope to report some good news next week

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Welcome all to the forum, great place to learn and share. Check out the general discussion and Best Practices areas. Lots of good info about the use of scents.

I don't use scents so I'm no help.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Welcome to all,

As far as scent working yet, I put a estrous scent trail out when I got my 10pntr last week. He didn't follow it hot and heavy, but he did nibble a little then sniff the trail then nibble some more then walk my way and sniff the trail some more. I truly feel if I hadn't of put that trail out he wouldn't have made it to me in time for legal time. The 6pntr that was also in the corn stubble didn't follow the trail. I took my wife out last night to the same spot and the 6pntr. and a 4pntr. came out in the exact same spot, but would not follow the new scent trail. They just grazed 80yrds. away. I think the older bucks know to follow that scent trail, but the younger ones are not conditioned to it yet, they lack experiencel.

OHIOCE

Postby OHIOCE » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40 pm

I saw 5 does last Sat(10th), 3 @ 9am and 2 @ 9:30am, got skunked Mon evening.  I haven't seen any antlers since opening day. 

As far as scents go.... I have been hunting for 16 years, used scents for about 13 of them and never saw much difference in deer sightings or shot opportunities.  I have since quit using them and consider them a waste of money(this is just my opinion).  However, if I ever try using scents again I am curious about Standing Estrous by Code Blue. 

Good luck to all, scents or not.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:53 am

Just got in from this mornings hunt, the weather was great low 30's with a slight breeze. I was in my stand about an hour or so before shooting light. Had several come through before day light didn't see anything else until around 9 when a doe was walking down a farm road probably 75 yds away. Saw another coyote but couldn't get a shot at him, to far he skirted around me and took the farm road also.

Seeing several fresh rubs, no scrapes. I'm hoping to get out again Wednesday evening.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

mbeavers8

Postby mbeavers8 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Lots of does over the weekend but no bucks. Did pull cards on the cameras and had a big grey faced buck about 22-24" wide but only 6 points.  Got 6 pictures of him in early september in velvet too. Couple nice 8's one with both brows split.  Buddy was out this a.m. (10-19) and passed a 125" 9.

whitacl

Postby whitacl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Was out this past Saturday saw 3 does and a decent 8 point i could have taken at less than 10 yds. He was actually running a doe and grunting. Called him off her from about 75 yds witha grunt call, he circled down wind and came directly into my stand. Could have drilled him numerous times, but i know we have bigger bucks in the area. Couldn't believe he was running her as hard as he was. Finding a good number of scrapes, pictures only show smaller bucks making them. Sunday 9 does and two small bucks went at it in the field.

Going to the Buckeyes game this Sat, will not make it out till Sun afternoon, weather looks great for this weekend. Bucks should be getting close to hitting thatseeking phase. Hopefully the big boys will be out searchin next week when the temps drop again.

Shoot straight
Ohio BBH

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Was hoping this forum would accept a reply from non-residents enjoying the great state of Ohio. I have been coming out from Vermont the past 2years. Although my pins have not been set onto the kill zone of a buck yet I keep the faith. I have nothing to post to the journal yet, but hope to in 3 weeks!. Because of the outragious monetary committments for outfitters and leased land, plus a few other personal reasons, I am hunting state land only in Muskingdum Cty. I have seen evidence of big deer and have seen some from the stand, but was quite surprised I did not encounter many more whitetails in the stand. I am an experieced bow hunter and trust my judgement in the woods. My question to all of you is: As resident hunters, do any of you hunt state land during archery, or should I assume that the most consistent reliable source for big buck, multiple buck encounters is private land hunts? Thanks. I hope to do some bragging this year myself after I return. Hunting Nov. 6 through the 13th.

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio