Muzzleloader season opener

Ohio farms

Muzzleloader season opener

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 am

Going out to spend a weekend at the farmhouse with a friend and nephew Friday. Deer should have calmed down some after all the shotguns going off. Plan is to drag the layout blinds and decoys into the picked corn field and shoot some geese, then hunt deer Saturday and Sunday. Geese are coming off Mosquito Creek Refuge 2 miles away and dropping into the corn field. Looking forward to it all.
Good luck to all of you.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

motorbreaker

Re: Muzzleloader season opener

Postby motorbreaker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 am

Good luck Ohio, And speaking of goose, How do you like to cook your goose? We cook it like venison.
Fry pan, Grill.
Jake

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:45 am

Interesting that you should ask me that. I usually make a goulash over noodles out of it. I even made jerky out of the breast meat once...not so good, I might add. Last week a buddy and I got a couple of geese and he put the breasts in a ziplock bad, added italian dressing to it and put it in the refrigerator. Well, he forgot about and remembered 7 days later. Drained the breasts on paper towels, cut it into thin slices, put it between sheets of plastic and pounded it thin. Breaded, seasoned it and baked it on the oven. I don't know what temp or how long, but if you are interested, I'll be hunting with him this weekend. He said they were fantastic. Goose is not one of our most favorite game meats, but this may change that. I'm looking forward to trying it myself.
Good luck this weekend if you go.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I have about 40 goose shell decoys that I have never even tried yet. I am envious, Good luck.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 pm

I'll let you know how we do.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Had fun the last two days BUT, Friday the geese came in 5 minutes after the end of shooting time as we were picking up the decoys and saw no deer on Saturday. Very few shots, I think the neighbors had their limit in Trumbull county already. The crown royal was good though.
How did the rest of you do that went out?

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 pm

We got a couple does, one of witch was huge. Seen a few bucks but nothing big enough.
Jake

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Big does are great deer. Way to go.
My buddy and I will try again Tuesday. Hope springs eternal.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am

Ohio farms wrote:Interesting that you should ask me that. I usually make a goulash over noodles out of it. I even made jerky out of the breast meat once...not so good, I might add. Last week a buddy and I got a couple of geese and he put the breasts in a ziplock bad, added italian dressing to it and put it in the refrigerator. Well, he forgot about and remembered 7 days later. Drained the breasts on paper towels, cut it into thin slices, put it between sheets of plastic and pounded it thin. Breaded, seasoned it and baked it on the oven. I don't know what temp or how long, but if you are interested, I'll be hunting with him this weekend. He said they were fantastic. Goose is not one of our most favorite game meats, but this may change that. I'm looking forward to trying it myself.
Good luck this weekend if you go.

That sounds good Ohio, We cook our goose like we do our deer. Try cutting the breasts in half, Cover in olive oil and seasone
the crap out of it. Throw it on the grill. Never want to over cook wild game, It will dry out to much and the flavor is then gone,
Jake

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 pm

It was a gorgeous day today, but hope did not spring eternal. Saw nothing but squirrels. Amazing weather to be in the woods in mid Jan., though.

Return to Ohio