Landowner tags

bowbrown

Landowner tags

Postby bowbrown » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:40 am

Does anyone know how much land you have to own to be able to use a landowner tag?

Ohio farms

RE: Landowner tags

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:04 am

I called the DOW this moring to ask that question. There is no size requirement. So in this case "size does not matter". Do make sure that your area allows the discharge of weapons (this includes archery) and hunting.

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks Ohio farms, I have never read a restriction on size but wanted to make sure.  I only have three acres but take a deer off of it every year and use a bought tag now I can save my money.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:38 am

The first time that I used a homemade tag, I felt like I was doing something illegal. It was weird...I tried not to look guilty at the check-in station even though I was not doing anything wrong.  I did get over it when they failed to put me in cuffs.  Good luck.

kellory

Re: Landowner tags

Postby kellory » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I use wired shipping tags. they are good sized, durable, and attach with 6 inch wires easily., and any pen will write on them wet or dry. roughly 2X5 maybe.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 am

Here in Indiana there is no size requirement either. Anyone qualifying for a landowner tag can tag deer, up to the legal bag limit,without a license. The reg reads:
Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana, their spouses and children living with them,
while hunting, fishing or trapping on the land they own or lease. This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation
or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family
and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber or
the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes

In our home county of Fulton, I can kill 1 buck and up to 8 doe without a license on the home place. So can my wife or my son if he happens to be home on leave at that time. As long as the land is zoned agricultural on my tax statement, there is no questions asked. I always buy a license for buck as I have several other places to hunt that are not on my own property.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm

bowbrown, are the three acres you own considered agricultural? That is the key word here for landowner permits. Even a hay field is considered agricultural.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

It may be different in Indiana, but here in Ohio I could hunt my back yard as long as there are no hunting restrictions in the area( IE: No hunting within city limits, ) on a land owner tag. Check with your Div. of wildlife, but it should be fine to do. I pay for tags only on other people's land, or public land. Hope it helps.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:03 am

Remember, in Ohio, if you shoot a deer on your property,but have to follow it off of your property to recover it you must have a hunting license and deer tag to do so. Tracking a wounded deer is considered hunting too. Once you leave your property your landowner status ends. Seems a little nit picky, but there is logic there.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Interesting, I was told to leave my weapons behind if I had to track off my property. I will have to douple check that ODNR. Thanks.

Next

Return to Ohio